Before I pop open my amp (again), I want to ask: can a triode missing a connection (namely the anode) still functional (especially when used as a cathode follower, right after a gain stage)?

Clarification: 12AX7, anode. Reason I guess it's that one is due to use of 20guage wire, which may have place stress on connection point and result in loose connections. Since sounds still comes out, the plate (connect to the anode/output of gain stage) and cathode (connect to tone stack) is connected to apporpriate place.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Jestersage
Before I pop open my amp (again), I want to ask: can a triode missing a connection (namely the anode) still functional (especially when used as a cathode follower, right after a gain stage)?

Clarification: 12AX7, anode. Reason I guess it's that one is due to use of 20guage wire, which may have place stress on connection point and result in loose connections. Since sounds still comes out, the plate (connect to the anode/output of gain stage) and cathode (connect to tone stack) is connected to apporpriate place.
No. The grid controls the current from cathode to anode. If you have no connection to the anode, you won't have any current to control.

You MIGHT get a tiny bit of current through the cathode when the grid swings positive, but the signal on the cathode will be extremely small and highly distorted.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^Thanks.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
+1 to SYK. A tube with no anode connection is like a car without an engine. Like he said, a bit of noise when it goes positive, but that'd be the equivalent of you kicking the tire on the car and nudging it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial