Hi there, I bought a used Fender Twin Reverb from a guy earlier in the year, and he wasn't sure when the amp was made, so I was hoping any Fender Twin owners might be able to help me out. I've looked around on the internet and haven't found much, unfortunately. Where I assume the serial number was, is now scratched off, but the number "A38383" is written overtop where it should be in black marker. The lighting is bad, so if you can't tell, it has cream tolex and an oxblood grill. I can take more photos if needed, while I have access to a camera.

Is there a tube chart on the inside of the cab? There should be a stamp on that. Two letters.
Cream tolex and those knobs. Oh lord!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It's from 1972, according to the serial number. If that is correct, that means the tolex, grillcloth, faceplate and speakers are unoriginal.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jun 28, 2009,
There's no stamp on the tube chart, but on Fender's website it says that some weren't stamped. However, I checked the code on the transformer, and it says 2-12, meaning it was made in the 12th week of a year ending in 2, so I assume you're right, mr_hankey. Must be 1972 with new parts.
Sweet. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Quote by FabioByDay
There's no stamp on the tube chart, but on Fender's website it says that some weren't stamped. However, I checked the code on the transformer, and it says 2-12, meaning it was made in the 12th week of a year ending in 2, so I assume you're right, mr_hankey. Must be 1972 with new parts.
Sweet. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Checking the transformers is usually the best way. Any chance of a picture of the inside? I'd like to know how much is original there, and I might be able to tell you if it needs service or not. You know about the dangers or tube amps, right? Stored voltages and whatnot?

Great amp, by the way.
Quote by mr_hankey
Checking the transformers is usually the best way. Any chance of a picture of the inside? I'd like to know how much is original there, and I might be able to tell you if it needs service or not. You know about the dangers or tube amps, right? Stored voltages and whatnot?

Great amp, by the way.

I'm aware of the dangers, I just don't know a whole lot about them, unfortunately. Sooner or later I'm going to take it to a place that inspects and tunes up anything needed with tube amps. I took some photos, but I really didn't know what I was doing, to be honest. Sorry some are kind of blurry. If you need any numbers or anything printed on parts, I'll go check them out. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this.

Quote by FabioByDay
I'm aware of the dangers, I just don't know a whole lot about them, unfortunately. Sooner or later I'm going to take it to a place that inspects and tunes up anything needed with tube amps. I took some photos, but I really didn't know what I was doing, to be honest. Sorry some are kind of blurry. If you need any numbers or anything printed on parts, I'll go check them out. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate this.

No, thank you! I always like seeing old amps. Do you happen to know when it was last serviced? Amps generally need at least a checkup every 10-15 years.

I notice your amp is missing two power tubes, which means it's running at half power. Shouldn't make much of a (noticeable) difference.

By inside I meant inside the chassis, but you shouldn't open that unless you're comfortable with it and know what you're doing. That's where the dangerous voltages are.
Wait, you're dating twins?

Lucky you!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Looks nice! You better get some proper speakers for that though><

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by mr_hankey
No, thank you! I always like seeing old amps. Do you happen to know when it was last serviced? Amps generally need at least a checkup every 10-15 years.

I notice your amp is missing two power tubes, which means it's running at half power. Shouldn't make much of a (noticeable) difference.

By inside I meant inside the chassis, but you shouldn't open that unless you're comfortable with it and know what you're doing. That's where the dangerous voltages are.

Haha, I thought you might have meant that. Sorry about that. And yeah, unfortunately I'm not completely comfortable opening it up myself. I don't really know what I'm doing and would likely shock myself.
I'm not sure when it was last serviced, so I'm definitely going to take it in soon, just in case. And yeah, the guy told me that 2 of the power tubes were pulled, and I assume that means I can't get to the higher volumes I could reach if it did have the tubes? If so, that's not really necessary. This thing is plenty loud for me.
Oh, and I noticed upon googling 72's that most, if not all of them have a master volume. Is it likely that this was removed from my amp?
Last edited by FabioByDay at Jun 28, 2009,
No, it could mean that it was made even earlier because lots of Fenders started getting master volumes after a certain year (sometime mid 70s I believe).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by FabioByDay
Haha, I thought you might have meant that. Sorry about that. And yeah, unfortunately I'm not completely comfortable opening it up myself. I don't really know what I'm doing and would likely shock myself.
I'm not sure when it was last serviced, so I'm definitely going to take it in soon, just in case. And yeah, the guy told me that 2 of the power tubes were pulled, and I assume that means I can't get to the higher volumes I could reach if it did have the tubes? If so, that's not really necessary. This thing is plenty loud for me.
Oh, and I noticed upon googling 72's that most, if not all of them have a master volume. Is it likely that this was removed from my amp?

It's possible, but there is no way of telling without getting into the chassis. It's also possible that your amp was made before Fender started adding master volumes.

The volume difference between 50w and 100w is negligible, in my experience.
I guess I'll see when I take it in. My interest has been sparked, so I may do it soon. Just a matter of lugging this beast downtown... Ohh, how I wished I owned a car, haha.
Thanks again! If I find out anything interesting about the amp, if I take it in soon, I'll be sure to post it.