Just got in the Super Champ XD form the MF Fender Friday sale. An awesome buy for $220 with the footswitch. I like it better than my Peavey Classic 30. The XD crunch sounds better that my distortion pedal. A demo mp3 is in my profile. Nothing but a guitar and the amp. The FX are all onboard.

how do you like it better than the Classic 30?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Zoot Allures
sounds nice, now all you need is a rotary speaker sim for 'couldn't stand the weather'

It has one actually

Awesome new amp!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by TOMMYB22
how do you like it better than the Classic 30?
The C30 has a great clean channel and works well with pedals, but the gain channel is less than inspiring. The XD has multiple voice settings and both the cleans and dirt sounds pretty good. My sample doesn't even begin to explore the range of tones.

sounds nice, now all you need is a rotary speaker sim for 'couldn't stand the weather.
Yep, does have one. I think I may have used chorus and delay on that one. But if so it was only slight mixed in because when you crank the wet it comes in strong.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 28, 2009,
Congrats! Some real nice playing in those clips. Did you mic the amp or use the line out, out of curiosity (sure looks mic'ed, but never know). Still can't believe they sold that cheap.
Loved your clips. Great sounding amp and awesome playing. See this you kids. You don't need to spend a fortune to get good sound.
Quote by pak1351
Did you mic the amp or use the line out, out of curiosity (sure looks mic'ed, but never know).
MXL 2010 mic -> Behringer 1002FX mixer -> Audacity sound card.

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with your C30? Just askin
Pretty sure it's fine. I haven't messed with the tubes since I got it, but works perfctly. It's just the gain channel that doesn't impress me.

OTOH, I recently picked up a Crate Vintage Club 20 cheap that has a wonderful crunch tone. I'll post another NAD for it when I record some a sample in the next couple days. But it's cleans aren't as good as the C30. The C30 is great if you have a pedalboard with some dirt boxes.
Now that's a sale!!! I can't believe you got it so cheap. Mine was $275 after tax using a 10% off coupon at GC, but that was in Feb before the price hike. Now, it's up around $400. Wait tell you hear yours with a bigger speaker. I'm playing mine through a cab and it just makes the sound fill the room so much better.

I'm glad you like the voices... when this amp first came out the forums filled up with purists who said that they liked the amp, but that they really only bought it for the great "clean channel," and that XD only had 2 or 3 good voices... bla bla bla.

But in my opinion, MOST of the voices are useable and rank from good to very good... and besides you only need a few good voices and that's more than you get on most nondigital amp anyway. I picked up a Marshall bluesbreaker II just because it has the boost channel and gain channel and I thought it would work well for adding dirt to the clean on my XD and for boosting solos, but I'm not quite happy with the BB2 tone... it's kind of harsh and noisy, but it gets the job done.

SCXD is a great amp... I only wish that I could switch between the voices with a foot peddle... also... some of them are slightly boxy and noisy at times with the stock speaker, but if you ever have that problem just plug into a cab and problem solved.

The greatest thing I've noticed about owning my XD is how much it has improved my playing; it seems whenever I play on a good clean Fender amp... my playing dramatically improves. . . and even the dirty voices on XD have clarity.

Enjoy your investment!!!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Jammy Pige
The greatest thing I've noticed about owning my XD is how much it has improved my playing; it seems whenever I play on a good clean Fender amp... my playing dramatically improves. . . and even the dirty voices on XD have clarity.

Funny, I noticed this last week while playing (killing) my Bassman. The tone was so clear and the dynamics so rich and smooth, that I actually felt like I was playing better. Fender cleans really bring out the best in your playing. (Or the worst if your technique is sloppy.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It has basically 3 different voices per amp type Tweed, Blackface, British, Hot Rod, Metal (2 voices), and 1 Jazz and Acoustic, plus the straight tube channel. The 3 voices are mostly EQ differences and some gain change. With the EQ being the main decider. I could see how some people would complain that all the voices are usuable. But I think that which voices you find usable would depend on your guitar and pups as well. You really don't need all three of each because you've still got gain and eq knobs. Plus if you run into an external cab you might find an unusable voice better than the previuously preferred one.

I find that the dirt sounds are as good as any of my distortion pedals. I'm not sure about the internals but it doesn't sound digital. Very natural tube sounding.

I was on TGP forum and a guy posted a good sample of the XD comparing different speakers. The stock speaker actually sounds as good as the higher priced upgrades.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 29, 2009,