There's a lot of crap on my hard drive in my desktop, and it's not very big, so I was thinking of replacing it with something like a 100-200 GB hard drive and use the desktop for recording. If I put in a new hard drive and didn't keep the old one in it, would I need a new operating system for it too? I'm not sure how OSs work.
if there's not that much on the old one, your best bet would probably be just to clone it onto the new one.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
If you install it as a Slave hard drive, then you can keep the OS on the master hard drive. I'm not kidding they are called that. The slave hard drive is usually placed under the master in the space where you want to install it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
You basically have two options, you either reinstall, and copy over what ever important stuff you have and lose a lot of stuff (settings etc.), OR you clone your old hard drive to your new one.

Cloning is relatively simple, but you'd need a Norton Ghost bootdisk or something similar.
And another thing, if you do decide to clone, make sure that after the disk is cloned, you remove your old disk before you start up, otherwise you could run in to some trouble.

Quote by Dawginator
If you install it as a Slave hard drive, then you can keep the OS on the master hard drive. I'm not kidding they are called that. The slave hard drive is usually placed under the master in the space where you want to install it.

I'd be careful doing that, even when setting it as master and slave like that, you can often run in to problems, also have to make sure the boot priorities are set correctly in the BIOS. But yeah, if he installs the new disk first, then afterwards adds the old drive he can copy everything.
Last edited by Ducky-Kun at Jun 28, 2009,
IF YOU HAVE THE OS DISK, YOU'RE FINE, OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE TO BUY OR DOWNLOAD A NEW COPY. IT WORKS JUST LIKE ANY OTHER SOFTWARE IN THAT RESPECT. -CAPS 4 BILLY

sdasasda
I would recommend the master/slave approach to be honest, if you have enough space in your case for 2 disks. It's not that complicated a thing to set up, all you need to do is twiddle the jumpers and possibly fiddle the BIOS a touch, and that way you get to use the whole of the new disk for new stuff.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
ghost write that thing, my roomate actually just used this method to upgrade the hard disk in his laptop. It does cost some money though unfortunately.

check it out
Quote by RPGoof
Yes. The OS is installed on the hard drive as with any other peice of software.

Quote by Dawginator

This.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!