Ok so im pretty sure this doesn't go in the riffs and recording sections cause there is no actual recording here just discussing recording in a studio(i had to clarify to the idiots who will scream WRONG SECTION)

So assuming this is the right section, here a few questions and id like to know how you guys feel about them.

The whole concept of recording the whole song in one go vs riff by riff(Note the music has alot of significant tempo changes). So which and how do you feel ? Indifferent, pro this or pro that. All in one go vs riff by riff.

Also, Guitars recording over drums vs Guitars recording over metronome, once again, indifferent, pro this or pro that and why?

Edit: Third, is it common for one guitarist to take on recording duties for both guitars?
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
Last edited by Marwanbaki at Jun 28, 2009,
It depends on the sound/feel you want. Recording all "Live" with vocals overdub gives a more, agressive/loose feel. But recording track by track, makes the whole sound alot tighter and mistake free. But, it really is down to you and the music you make. Most modern bands record each instrument seperatley, Although Iron Maiden & The Haunted record live. Hope this helped?
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
If you're planning to be a gigging band...either record it all together in a room or at least record all the parts all in one go. It will have a much more natural feel, and at least you know you can do it
And as for recording with a click track...only the drums should do that and only if they really have to. The best way, again, is to have the drummer know the approx. tempo the song is at then give a count in on the hi hat or something then just play. You don't want everything fitting absoultely perfectly together or it will sound robotic and with no feeling.
Record drums, then bass over drum track, then all guitar rhythm parts, then any seperate leads that arent played by the main guitar tracks, then any backing vocals if you need them, then main vocals. Then mix it down
Ok just cause of the music, its metal btw, its practically impossible to record a LIVE recording of all of us playing, that is just out of the question for us. But keep em coming.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

Like Metallica Metal, or Necrophagist Metal?

Metallica-esque Metal is probably better played at once, while Necrophagist/Technical Death Metal-esque would most likely sound best Played seperately then mixed in with the right volume's, tones, Ect.
A little in between, the riffs aren't that technical, but the structure sure as hell is(tempo changes and all baby YEAH!!!).
Quote by greendayguitar