Hey GG&A!I've got a "this or that" question for you guys this time.

Now, I'm looking to move my amp into a more spacious area where I can have more room to play, and more room to crank my amp, but I'm presented two potential problems...

My Dad told me I could move it into the garage and I could play out there. The only problem is, it can get VERY hot and humid in there. I'm talking upwards of 90F, and I'm not exactly sure on the humidity, but it can get pretty bad.

Now, this is where moving my amp into my Mom's basement would seem like the obvious choice because it stays just about the same temperature just about all the time, and it's not too humid, but Mom doesn't want to listen to it, and wants me to Sound Proof the basement ceiling.

Now, this is where I need help. I don't know if the heat and humidity will hurt the amo or not, but Sound Proofing is expensive... So, if anyone know what would be better, or where I could get sound proofing for a somewhat cheap price, let me know.

P.S. - The basement is somewhere around 1,564 square feet, since that's something that needs to be known.

Thanks guys!!!
Try some foam, my drummer picked up a little bit of it and it seems to help.

I'm talking like a 2 inch thick piece of foam and just stick it up all over the ceiling.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
Try some foam, my drummer picked up a little bit of it and it seems to help.

I'm talking like a 2 inch thick piece of foam and just stick it up all over the ceiling.

Does he happen to remember how much it cost? And will it stop the Mother from her nagging?
The heat shouldn't be too much of a problem, but humidity will. You could get a dehumidifier, for example.
Quote by Punkismygod
Well if you're a huge metal fan get a huge metal fan in your garage?

+1

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by SMB13
Does he happen to remember how much it cost? And will it stop the Mother from her nagging?

I know that actual soundproofing is better, and I don't know how he got the foam, I could ask him. Its really worth a shot, no guarantees but I don't think it could be too expensive too try it.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
the best way to soundproof anywhere is the use of empty egg cartons.

the uneven bumpy surface absorbs most of the sound wave/sound energy profiding an immense sound muffling effect.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by mr_hankey
The heat shouldn't be too much of a problem, but humidity will. You could get a dehumidifier, for example.

I shall look into this. The heat will be a problem for me though, but I guess that's what (See below posting) is for

Quote by Punkismygod
Well if you're a huge metal fan get a huge metal fan in your garage?

Quote by acdclandon
I know that actual soundproofing is better, and I don't know how he got the foam, I could ask him. Its really worth a shot, no guarantees but I don't think it could be too expensive too try it.

Yeah, I'm gonna give it shot. Hell, foam shouldn't be THAT expensive. The only hard part is where to find that much foam.
Regular foam or fiberglass insulation would probably work just as well. Check out Lowes or Home Depot.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Youre gonna have limited results trying to sound "proof" a basement. Youre mother is gonna hear it if you crank it up. Egg packaging, foam, insulation etc might dampen things a bit. But dont expect it to be like an isolation booth. An example is I had my epi vjr in a family room with the door closed and my wife on the other side of the house in a bedroom with that door closed and its was still plenty loud to her, and I wasnt at half volume on a 5w.
Quote by Tackleberry
Youre gonna have limited results trying to sound "proof" a basement. Youre mother is gonna hear it if you crank it up. Egg packaging, foam, insulation etc might dampen things a bit. But dont expect it to be like an isolation booth. An example is I had my epi vjr in a family room with the door closed and my wife on the other side of the house in a bedroom with that door closed and its was still plenty loud to her, and I wasnt at half volume on a 5w.

Plenty loud is very subjective.
If you can, building a "room inside a room" will help a lot. If there is some space between the walls, a lot less vibration is transferred... which equals less noise.
Quote by ChrisBW
If you can, building a "room inside a room" will help a lot. If there is some space between the walls, a lot less vibration is transferred... which equals less noise.

This could work... The place where I would be putting my gear in the basement is technically where our "Bar was supposed to be, but then my step dad got laid off...

I think I found what it's gonna be used for now! lol
Only in the 90s? You lucky bastard. It's been 107 outside here for the last few weeks and even hotter in the garage. Luckily I don't play out there though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The drink holders you get from fast food places will work too. But no matter how much soundproofing you put up, the amp will still get heard up stairs if you crank it.
Sig What?
Foam does cut down on a little noise, but it'll still be loud.

Egg cartons don't really work.

The really sound-proof a room, you pretty much have to build a room-inside-of-a-room. It's expensive.
I also put my amp (just a combo) on a little rack thats got wheels, it was my bros nightstand. This helps take care of the bass. Thats what causes the vibrations.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Mitchell?
Foam does cut down on a little noise, but it'll still be loud.

Egg cartons don't really work.

The really sound-proof a room, you pretty much have to build a room-inside-of-a-room. It's expensive.

What if I just put up some kind of plywood or something in this little enclosure like thing in my basement? Three of the four walls are already up, I just need a fourth