Hey guys, i'm thinking of buying the 1x12 express 5:50. I've heard good things about it. I need a versatile amp that is going to be very reliable, easy to transport, and good for home use as well as to gig with.
Anyone here have good experiences with them?
i can't remember if i tried the 5:50 or5:25... i thought it was quite nice, but a lot of people have been complaining about them, that they don't have the balls of the old f series which they replaced. Allegedly the F-series was discontinued because its high gain tone was so good that it was eating into rectifier sales. Flip side is, though (and I haven't tried the two head to head, just going on memory) that the express might do lower gain and low to mid-gain crunch better than the f-series. Depends on what you want, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What style are you using it for?

IMO the Express series is the worst series of amps Mesa has ever put out... but... it might suit you depending on styles.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It might be the worst of the Mesa's Matrix, but it by no means means that it is a bad amp. I use the F-50 1x12 combo and the other guitarist uses a 5:50 2x12 combo. I know it might come off kind of arrogant, but my tone is a little better. Our drummer thinks so, bassist thinks so, hell even the guy with the Express copies my EQ settings to try and match my tone. All in all, I think it is a great amp, but not for the price. Definitely look for a used F series.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
It might be the worst of the Mesa's Matrix, but it by no means means that it is a bad amp. I use the F-50 1x12 combo and the other guitarist uses a 5:50 2x12 combo. I know it might come off kind of arrogant, but my tone is a little better. Our drummer thinks so, bassist thinks so, hell even the guy with the Express copies my EQ settings to try and match my tone. All in all, I think it is a great amp, but not for the price. Definitely look for a used F series.

For sure, they're tone doesn't necessarily suck, but compared to the F Series it replaced, it's not as good.

Compared to other amps in the same price range, it really can't stack up IMO. But if it was priced lower, it would be a decent amp; as long as Mesa wasn't advertising it as have gain comparable to a Rectifier...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i played it for awhile, wanted to buy it. i didnt because as much as i wanted to like the amp, it just didnt sound $1200 good. it wasnt "bad".
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I like the amp but i do think that it is overpriced. What do you guys recommend for a budget of around $1500? Combo. Versatile
For $1500, if you're looking at Mesa's, you can probably find a Mk IV combo.

As far as the Express series goes, I've never actually played through one, but I can vouch for the F-series being fantastic amps. I love my F-50 head. IMO, though, while they're quite versatile, they're best at either high gain tones, or clean tones. Good mid-gain tone can be had though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus

IMO, though, while they're quite versatile, they're best at either high gain tones, or clean tones. Good mid-gain tone can be had though.

that's what i thought too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?