Hi. I've just read the sticky on how to avoid anchoring your right hand when picking but couldn't find the answer I wanted. How are you supposed to keep the other strings quiet when your hand isn't touching them, as it's floating above them?

Cheers.
you've got the wrong idea. you move your hand around while you are muting the strings. your hand should always be resting somewhere, it just should move around.
It says don't keep touching the same place - as mine does when shutting strings up. Is it more about avoiding the pinky from touching and keeping your hand "floating"?
Quote by sammo_boi
you've got the wrong idea. you move your hand around while you are muting the strings. your hand should always be resting somewhere, it just should move around.

Right there is the answer I'm looking for. I thought surely my hand can't be in mid air. Now it makes sense. Thanks for taking the time 2 reply.

Seriously, thank you.
no, you can't possibly pick if your hand is floating. it means that your hand shouldn't bend to play strings. if you're are playing the high e string your hand should be at the same angle as if you were playing the low E string.
yes it can, my right hand never touches the strings , exept for palm muting and can still avoid unwanted noises.
i scream for ice cream
i bet you rest it on the bridge or something though. you may be able to play chords without touching the strings or bridge, but single notes...
Last edited by sammo_boi at Jun 28, 2009,