I have heard on songs artists use distortion to play things like arpegiating chords, and, while I can tell there is some sort of distorted sound on this, when I try to achive this on my Boss ME-50, I cannot get this effect? It just sounds too distorted?

How do the artists achive this?
By not using the ME-50.
Put the gain channel on, and put it on about 2/3.
Sorted.
Turn the gain down.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
an overdrive or a boosted clean signal?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
an overdrive or a boosted clean signal?

this or turning the gain down like said before.
using a bridge singlecoil would help if you have one. also, when you talk about arpeggiating chords, are you holding down chord shapes or fretting each note individually?
I would be holding down the chord shape...

And to the first poster, why not use the ME-50?

And for an example, perhaps the light solo in Citizen Erased, or the verse in Darkshines, the intros to Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist and Microcuts.. Yeah, guess my favourite band :P

When I play the above, the distortion seems to just drown out what I'm playing, or have too much sustain...
Quote by The Gore Child

And for an example, perhaps the light solo in Citizen Erased, or the verse in Darkshines, the intros to Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist and Microcuts.. Yeah, guess my favourite band :P

When I play the above, the distortion seems to just drown out what I'm playing, or have too much sustain...

the best damn band in the world?
SIGNATURE
well for stuff like that, the best you can do is pick lightly, use less distortion (possibly roll down your guitars volume knob a bit) and reduce the amount of bass coming into your amp (given that it is what is producing the distortion).
Quote by The Gore Child

Because all effects peals are not created equal. This is especially true for multi-effects. Just looking at that one and by it's price range, I would have guessed that it's of a higher quality than most of the garbage multi effects on the market, but losing the note definition in a wall of sonic garbage is a telltale sign of a lousy pedal IMO.

Unless of course you didn't try turning the gain down. Then do that. That should work. Most effects don't sound good at max gain anyway. Moderation in all things my friend.
Try different distortion pedals. You can't use fuzz and expect it. Also palm muting the notes always help.

Your amp might suck too, and it'll always sound F'd up then.

EDIT: Most multi effect pedals are garbage. There's two thousand different names for the same 5 effects.

Just buy a pedal that excels at one thing, each. Best quality over, but costly.
Last edited by nan0 at Jun 29, 2009,
Not to mention the studo they recorded it is has thousands of settings and effects to get the sounds wanted.

Plus, they probably over dubbed it with another guitar on a clean channel to get both sounds.

I'm listening to the song thoughts of a dying atheist, I kinda expected better from a title liek that. The lyrics could of been much deeper.