We got to talking about this in my thread I started about Jack White's gear, and I'm now interested in getting a Fender tube amp, so I thought I'd get some other opinions.

I am thinking about getting a 30w model, and one that can get a crunch tone (say you were using a Marshall JCM800 or something like that, and the drive would be on about 3-5, that kind of crunch). I'm not really worried about price right now, cuz I wanna know what amp I'm getting before I start saving up. Also, the Twin and Twin Reverb are at the bottom of my list because they are so expensive, so only mention them if they would be the perfect amp for me.

I decided that 400 USD would be my price range, although it can be slightly higher )465-470 may be pushing it, cuz I'm a cheap bastard )

Thanks
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 28, 2009,
tweed-style fenders tend to get more crunch than the blackface style ones... are you after a vintage-style fender (or reissue) or a modern fender? what's your budget? also i'm not sure if you're going to get a jcm800 tone out of a fender, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender tube amps have some of the best cleans and tonal qualities I've heard. The dirty/distortion channel is terrible, but run a good pedal or two through the clean channel and tweak the settings and you will get real nice crunch with real good clarity. I've only listened to and played with the Twin Reverb tube amp, but it is definitely worth the money.
My Rig-
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncans) {My Baby ^_^}
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
jack white uses a silverface twin reverb , ive got one, they go cheap on ebay, how much was you thinking of spending?
yeah, often (not always) fender amps do not have a good od channel, so I would get a MI audio crunch box with amp for the dirt, I never tried it myself, but they are know as a "JCM in a box"
Well, my plan was to get a slight crunch from the amp, and then when I wanted some dirt, I was gonna use a distortion pedal for that extra bit. I'm gonna be getting a Big Muff for a distortion pedal. But I guess I'll just keep it clean then, then use the distortion pedal when i want it.

Also, like I said in my first post, I'm not worried about price cuz I want to know what I'm getting before I start saving up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
tweed-style fenders tend to get more crunch than the blackface style ones... are you after a vintage-style fender (or reissue) or a modern fender? what's your budget? also i'm not sure if you're going to get a jcm800 tone out of a fender, kind of thing.

That's not what I meant. I meant like, if you were to put the drive on a jcm800 on 3-5, that was the amount of crunch i was looking for, not necessarily the tone of it.

EDIT: Also, I don't mind if its vintage or new, as long as it sounds good lol.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 28, 2009,
get a vintage silverface then same as jack and you could always pull out 2 power tubes if its too loud. plus i think the overdrive is great.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
That's not what I meant. I meant like, if you were to put the drive on a jcm800 on 3-5, that was the amount of crunch i was looking for, not necessarily the tone of it.

EDIT: Also, I don't mind if its vintage or new, as long as it sounds good lol.

oh ok, i get you now, sorry

I haven't actually tried a jcm800, how much crunch does that equal? I'm guessing (could be way off) something around AC/DC levels? Maybe a bit more?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok, i get you now, sorry

I haven't actually tried a jcm800, how much crunch does that equal? I'm guessing (could be way off) something around AC/DC levels? Maybe a bit more?

Well, I've never tried one either, but from what I've heard about them and the players who use them (like Slash, for example), I'm guessing that the jcm800 would get about the same amount of distortion as the "red metal" amp model on my line 6 spider III, so yea around AC/DC, except maybe a little lower, actually.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Well, I've never tried one either, but from what I've heard about them and the players who use them (like Slash, for example), I'm guessing that the jcm800 would get about the same amount of distortion as the "red metal" amp model on my line 6 spider III, so yea around AC/DC, except maybe a little lower, actually.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have a blues jr that did great AC/DC with a tubescreamer, and 80s metal with a danelectro black paisley. I've just done a few mods to the amp and now it sounds fantastic. If there was one thing lacking it was a full sounding bass response, and 20 minutes of soldering has given me an amazing tone for the price. Might be too small for you, though.
Quote by tubetime86

(i haven't tried one)

assuming you do only need around ac/dc, most fenders should hit that amount of dirt without too much bother, as long as it's not a twin or something like that. whether the tone will be accurate, though, i don't know. if you're in the USA or canada, a traynor ycv40 or 50 might be a better plan- better overdrive channels than the current fenders (certainly in the case of the 40, which i've tried, and the ycv50's overdrive channel, which i haven't tried, supposedly is more marshally, too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(i haven't tried one)

assuming you do only need around ac/dc, most fenders should hit that amount of dirt without too much bother, as long as it's not a twin or something like that. whether the tone will be accurate, though, i don't know. if you're in the USA or canada, a traynor ycv40 or 50 might be a better plan- better overdrive channels than the current fenders (certainly in the case of the 40, which i've tried, and the ycv50's overdrive channel, which i haven't tried, supposedly is more marshally, too).

Alright, I may have to try one of those. Do you happen to know the price of the traynor ycv40?
I visited the Fender website (finally)... Here are some of the amps that apealed to me.

Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Pro Junior
Fender Vibrolux Reverb
Fender Super Reverb

yes, i know a couple of them are 15 watts, but I figured if I'm gonna hook them up with a cabinet, 15w and 30w isn't really that big of a difference, it still should be loud enough.

And I see that all of these are way out of my price range lol.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Sguit
yeah, often (not always) fender amps do not have a good od channel, so I would get a MI audio crunch box with amp for the dirt, I never tried it myself, but they are know as a "JCM in a box"

I vouch for this route. If you can't get a crunch box, go for the boss md-2 or metal muff or something similar that GC carries. Fender amps on the clean channel work really well with distortion pedals.
My Rig-
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncans) {My Baby ^_^}
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Alright, I may have to try one of those. Do you happen to know the price of the traynor ycv40?

i'm not sure exactly, but i think, if i remember correctly, there's an ebay dealer selling the ycv50 for around the $600-$650 mark? presumably the 40 would be a little cheaper than that. Could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure exactly, but i think, if i remember correctly, there's an ebay dealer selling the ycv50 for around the $600-$650 mark? presumably the 40 would be a little cheaper than that. Could be wrong, though.

would you say that the ycv clean tone is somewhat close to a fender tube amp? although i may be able to buy a blues junior for less than the ycv50 is. but then i would be getting a higher wattage lol.
as i said, i haven't tried the 50, but the 40's clean tone was definitely fendery. pretty much like a hot rod deluxe, but with a far superior drive channel. the hrd's cleans are probably slightly better, but unless you only need cleans, there's not much point in gaining only slightly in the clean department when the trade-off is a severe hit in the overdrive department, lol.

if the HRD's cleans are, say, 9/10 for its price range, the traynor's are maybe 7.5-8/10, but for the overdrive channel the HRD is like 0/10, while the traynor is pretty much 7.5-8/10 again. That kind of thing.

bear in mind, the ycv20 doesn't sound fendery at all. i've heard the ycv50's clean channel is kind of fendery, but I haven't been able to try it to corroborate this.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?