its been a while since i asked a noobish question. but yano what? i can once in a while haha. so yeh here it goes dont kill me...fitz....

so i am getting a trace head (used) very soon (wednesday )))))) and i wont be able to play it because i dont have a cab...*sigh*...i do have a combo amp, though. so i was wondering if i plugged my bass into the head, then the head into the combo amp input would it completly kill everything. i DO NOT WANT TO RISK MY 15 YEAR OLD TRACE HEAD FOR THIS! so if you arent sure just say you arent sure. and if i shouldnt do it yell at me...fitz ...
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
dont do that.....ever........
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
lolol i figured as much. but i always must ask. haha just becuase im so impulsive some days that if you guys dont tell me otherwise i might be tempted to. i will though sit in my room staring at the head for houuuurs.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
yeah, don't do that.

borrow a friends cab, and if you don't have any friends, steal an enemies cab.
I play bass!
What it wont matter, plug into your head, take a lineout effects send into the input og the amp or the effects return, were do there^ people get it from.

Also which combo do you have and which trace are you getting im presuming n older SMX maybe.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
googlymoogly my man can you restate that first sentence?

and i have a crate bt50 combo and you were right, a RAH350SMX head haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Ya well im sure you can. You might make the combo clip, but if your getting something else it wont matter to much. This wont damage your head at all.

Plug your bass into the amp, then run one of the Di's not the left or right one but the main one, or a line level, tuner out, effects send. Plug from one of said outputs into the input of the crate. Im not sure how it will sound though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
yeh im sure it will sound like pure poop but yanooo i dont have 400 bucks for the head and 600 bucks to spend on a cab right now. hopefully in a few months *sigh* this will just be to make sure the head works. (and for hte record i didnt think th cab would explode haha maybe the combo lolz but who cares its a crate) haha and im gonna plug into the head then output through the effects send, i think thatd sound the most decent haha. either way

googlymoogly you have helped yet again.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Do not plug an effects loop out into the normal input. I did this and it ended up blowing something in my preamp. It took a little while but it did blow it because the signal coming from the effects out is a slightly amplified version of your bass's signal. It is totally safe to plug the effects loop out into the effects loop in of another amp though.

EDIT: you can plug into the normal input at very low volume just to make sure it works but don't keep playing it like this.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jun 30, 2009,
why didnt you buy the combo version in the first place?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
because it was a gift from my parents, it was cheap and i needed an amp. now that it is 3 years old and i am playing bigger venues i need something with a little more oomph. after a year of craving a trace head i finally found an original used for fairly cheap. so i am going in an hour to go and get it.

adn to revelation, i will just be making sure it works. then i will be saving my money for a cab. *sigh* i wish i had one already...

EDIT: wait why didnt i buy combo in the first place? i did...now im upgrading to a half stack. but since im lacking a cab to test if the head works i need to run it through my combo for the time being.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jul 1, 2009,
I'm no expert on amps but the pre-amp in your combo is designed to take mAmps as input - your head will output substantially more than that.... put the two together and you are likely to blow something.
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 1, 2009,
yeh im aware. likely the combo amp seeing how the head is 300 watts more...uhno maybe i just wont even risk it and just hold off till i get a cab
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
You could always be really cheeky - take the head and your bass to a local store, and tell them you want to try out some cabs....
hahahahah yeh! maybe ill do that.

BTW! i found out that i can just clip the wire to the speaker, then connect the positive to the tip of a 1/4" male connector and the negative to the shaft. then just use the connector in the head.

so simple haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
YA but clip once and youll blow the whole speaker.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul