Do different types of tubes (both power and pre-amp) play a large part in the sound that one would get from an amp? I have a Marshall Studio 15 that I'm starting to warm up to, but it is a bit too muddy for my liking. I've heard that Tung-Sols are brighter tubes as opposed to JJs, which are a bit darker. Would brighter tubes help to make the amp a bit more articulate, or is it kind of a wash?
Changing the speaker would provide you with more tonal change than changing tubes.
Quote by imgooley
Changing the speaker would provide you with more tonal change than changing tubes.

True but the tubes effect the sound alot too
IMO, a new speaker is the route to take.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
True but the tubes effect the sound alot too

More so if you change power tubes (say, from EL34 to 6L6s), or if you use lower gain preamp tubes.

In my opinion.
If it has a crappy speaker (like most 15 watt amps) a new speaker will be loads more important.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I'd say that your amp is about 60% of the tone, your guitar (as a whole, including wood, pickups, and strings) are about 15% of the tone, your speaker is about 10%, your tubes are about 5% of your tone, and the other 5% can be attributed to the sound reverberation and similar sound physics.

So, it would be worth a speaker change more than a tube change, but if the amp as a whole is voiced too muddy for your liking, then change your amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Impossible to break it down like that, because a bad speaker can ruin the tone of a great amp. A good amp with the wrong speaker can sound horrible.
The studio 15 had the very first Vintage 30 speakers shipped as the OEM speaker, so they're definitely nice speakers. If you have the original tubes in the amp, I'd get a full set of tung-sols to replace them before thinking of replacing the speaker.

I've got a set of NOS 6v6s and two tung-sol 12AX7s in mine right now and it's not muddy- though I've done a lot of work on my guitar to not be muddy with any amp, and my Studio 15 is running at 240 volts. Keep in mind that removing the original speaker from that amp will drop the resale value quite a bit (though of course you could sell the speaker for a bit more too, I suppose.)
Quote by Roc8995
The studio 15 had the very first Vintage 30 speakers shipped as the OEM speaker, so they're definitely nice speakers.

Ah. I guess I'll just shut up then.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by Roc8995
The studio 15 had the very first Vintage 30 speakers shipped as the OEM speaker, so they're definitely nice speakers. If you have the original tubes in the amp, I'd get a full set of tung-sols to replace them before thinking of replacing the speaker.

I've got a set of NOS 6v6s and two tung-sol 12AX7s in mine right now and it's not muddy- though I've done a lot of work on my guitar to not be muddy with any amp, and my Studio 15 is running at 240 volts. Keep in mind that removing the original speaker from that amp will drop the resale value quite a bit (though of course you could sell the speaker for a bit more too, I suppose.)

Right now my guitar is a Les Paul Studio. Mahogany is considered a darker wood, but I don't think it makes a big difference. Also note that my pickups are Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Not really muddy pickups at all.

I want that nice, bright Marshall grind... The power tubes plugged in right now are Groove Tubes, so I have no idea what brand they are.
You really should not have trouble getting 'bright' out of this amp. How old are the tubes? Sometimes older tubes lose their edge and get dark. Alternatively, try turning down the gain in favor of turning up the mids and volume.

I've got a LP standard, and I can turn the neck pickup tone control all the way down without it getting muddy, so it's not the amp.

What settings are you using right now?
Try Colin's EQing tips, but I second the Tungsols, and maybe 5751's instead of 12AX7's?

I've heard that can brighten things up.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE