I'm getting a new guitar, and in the scenario that I need new pickups, I've been trying to decide what to get. I've been looking at Dimarzios mainly, and I think I'm gonna go with the Evolution for the bridge, but it's really the single coils that I can't decide on... any ideas?
What sounds are you trying to achieve?
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
fender hot noiseless
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
they make tone zone and air norton singles. i'd look into those, could match pretty well, and some good combos with a 5 way switch
Quote by gstacey1
What sounds are you trying to achieve?

Well, I'd like to be able to get a fat humbucker-esque sound out of them, but I do sorta want to be able to get a single-coil sound as well. I like a lot of the shreddier stuff, but I love people like Hendrix, Clapton, Vaughan, etc as well.... puts me in kind of a dilemma.
I'm seriously leaning toward Choppers at this point, but still not sure.
Dimarzio HS-3
Dimarzio YJM
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I don't know about YJMs... those are pretty low-output, aren't they? I don't know if they'd pair well with an Evolution.
Quote by CaptDin
Well, I'd like to be able to get a fat humbucker-esque sound out of them, but I do sorta want to be able to get a single-coil sound as well. I like a lot of the shreddier stuff, but I love people like Hendrix, Clapton, Vaughan, etc as well.... puts me in kind of a dilemma.
Well you can't have exact single coil and exact humbucker tones coming out of the same pickups. You're going to have to compromise somewhere.

If single coil tones are more important to you, I'd suggest a couple of Fender Texas Specials for the neck and middle positions and a Seymour Duncan Stag Mag or Swineshead AMP humbucker in the bridge. That way you'll get full, vintage-hot singlecoil Strat tones in the neck, neck/mid, middle and middle/bridge positions, and an almost-humbucker tone in the bridge.

If humbucker tones are more important to you, I'd suggest a SD Little '59 in the middle and neck positions. Because it's the size of a singlecoil pickup it's tone will be slightly brighter and clearer than a full humbucker but it's as close as you can get to a humbucker in a single coil size. For the bridge I'd just go with something average like a DiMarzio PAF Pro humbucker, SD Pearly Gates, etc etc.

For reference though my personal pick would be a HSH setup. Most Strats are routed for HSH anyway, it'd require a new pickguard but when you're changing all the pickups then putting them into a new pickguard might actually be quicker anyway.
I'd stick a Swineshead AMP humbucker in the neck with a switch (could be a mini on/on switch, could be a push-push or push-pull pot) to change it between parallel and series wiring for true singlecoil tones and almost-humbucker tones in the neck.
In the middle I'd put a Fender Texas Special, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder or Swineshead Dragonfly, depending on how bright/clear the guitar naturally sounded. Just standard singlecoils wound with a bit more output and a little more bass than usual, so they would keep up with the humbuckers without getting drowned out.
In the bridge I'd stick a SD Custom 5 or Original Parallel Axis in, something modern with fairly high output for maximum tone options. Maybe I'd use a Swineshead Warthog if the guitar had a very naturally bright tone.
This way means you've got true single coil tones in the neck and middle as well as full humbucker tones in the neck and bridge, and any combination of them.
That said, doing this does mean you have to get a new pickguard and it'd require a bit more time and thought to wire it all correctly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The guitar is an early 80s Aria Pro II Knight Warrior that I was looking to hotrod into sort of a "shred machine". From the demos I've looked at on YouTube, the Evo looks like it'll suit my needs for the bridge position, and I THINK that a couple of Choppers in the neck and middle positions would go good with that, but I'm not sure.
YJM's are extremely low output. you wouldn't be able to even hear them after playing through an Evo. go to dimarzio's website and compare the output of the pickups. should help you decide what to pair with an Evo. usually pickups go bridge: most ouput, neck: least output.
Thanks. I've been playing for a few years now but I don't have much experience with pickup replacement. What I'll probably do is just switch out the bridge, then go back and get the neck and middle once I've had time to think about it, since I usually just use the bridge pickup anyway.