I recently sold my drumset, and have a grand to show for it. I knew from the start that I was going to use the money to upgrade my guitar rig. However, I've become stuck between buying a new guitar and buying a tube amp w/ some pedals thrown in.
The guitar is an ESP/LTD MH-1000. It's a great guitar, got EMGs and an OFR.
The amp is a Valve King (either 2x12 or the head version; depends on if I can rig my current amp up the right way.)
All of my guitars have either EMGs or Blackouts in them and my current amp is an old school Line 6 AX2 (mucho better than the Spiders, but not a tube amp), and I think my tone would drastically improve by buying the Valve King and a Tubescreamer. But the ESP/LTD is a very tantalizing guitar, and seems like a great buy.
Any advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
go for a better tube amp than the valveking, try for a combo its much easier to work with. look into peavy or mesa, although, mesa is more expensive, gets a great sound.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I'd go with the MH-1000. Proud owner of such a guitar right here
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
amp matters more then guitar tonewise, guitars are more about having a nice comfortable feel to them, the electronics and such can be modded so much to get different tones.

personally i'd get an amp. answer these questions.

new or used?:
genres?:
gigging?:
tones you like?
budget?:
I'd go with a guitar TBH. Do you play metal?
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Jun 28, 2009,
id go with a new amp. sounds like your guitars are solid but your problem is an amp. a valveking is a good amp but with 1G to spend, id look into something better
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by MadAudioMan

new or used?:
genres?:
gigging?:
tones you like?
budget?:

1. Either or. Doesn't matter
2. Metal and Rock- think Scale the Summit
3. Yes. Lots.
4. Scale the Summit, Between the Buried and Me.
5. Roughly a grand.
okay, well some good amps are.

-Peavey-
Ultra+
6505+
XXX
VTM

-Other Brands-
Line 6 Vetta. Very good amp, mic it up and keep it at lower volumes for the best sounds, really good, not at all like the spiders and that kind of crap.

Bugera heads, they make alot of clones, marshalls, peaveys etc.

Ampeg VH140, the correct name IIRC, these have a very 90s death metal distortion and pretty good cleans, best SS amp i've ever played, and better then most of the tube amps in its price range.

Maybe some used Mesas might be in your budget?

Also, another thing to look into is a simple boost/od pedal, a bad monkey is about 40$ and serves its purpose well, and other more expensive options like the Fulltone OCD and tubescreamers are great aswell.

personally i'd listen to all the amps i posted. some are heads, some come only as combos, but just listen and make a choice, also, if you're getting a lower gain amp, make sure you factor an OD into your cost, and also if its a head, a good cab.
^Thank you very much sir.
Yeah dude, Don't buy a Peavey Valveking. Although it's low priced, you do indeed get what you pay for. Look at 2nd hand amps Sovtek, Marshall(most JCM's), Higher-end Peavey, Fender(Deville or hot rod).
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Oh and definately take a look at a 6505, 6505+, 5150(2nd hand), and an Engl Powerball
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal