get an agile
theyre about 250 i think
but they dont have too many models except this blue burst les paul that i like
rondomusic.com

about 300 actually
havent checked in a while
Last edited by glam rocker at Jun 28, 2009,
I got a electric aoustic maton one for $1400, looks, plays and sounds beautiful. The thing with 12 strings in acoustic as they get easier to play the more you spend. There is alot to look for: action height capabilities, how close the strings are together, how thik theneck is.
www.xe.com/ucc is a currency converter if you wanna do the exchange. But the price range in australia sorta looks like 500-800 - basic passable 1500-1900 - adequate 2600-3000 perfection.
a good one? at least a grand unless you get lucky and find one used. on the other hand, it depends on your definition of good.

you might try finding a new tacoma on ebay for around $800 - but don't get one from their olympia line.
I wouldn't suggest you buy one for under $500 or so. 12 stringed acoustics have to take a lot more tension from the doubled strings. You want to invest in a good one for sure.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
go for Simon & Patrick, which is an acoustic section of Godin Guitars:
http://www.simonandpatrick.com/woodland12spruce.htm

i have that exact 12 string and its Built very well. Godin IMO can definately be trusted on their acoustic brands (seagull, Simon & Patrick etc!)

it runs around 450$ IMO its the only 12 string under a grand thats reliable, they have the double function truss rods so that helps too i think.

also its only around a 33kg difference between a 12 string using light gauge and a 6 string acoustic using lights. the 12 string if made decent will be built to withstand the difference. obviously if its under a grand stay away from the usual name brands(IBANEZ!)

but those nice underground brands such as Godin dont cut alot of corners on their lower priced models like the popular brands are. i've had my Woodland 12 string for almost a year and it was made a year ago before i bought it sooo so far so good:P
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by captivate
I wouldn't suggest you buy one for under $500 or so.

Absolutely. And that's the absolute minimum.
This thread just got me thinking.

In 1988, was $400 still considered to be in the "don't bother" price range for a 12-string? Because that's how much my dad bought mine for back then, but I don't think it's bad - then again, it's the only 12-string I've ever played. It's a 1988 Sigma DM12-4.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Jun 29, 2009,
i think its the cheaper popular brands that get people scared to get one around 500ish. because look at Ovation's 12 strings, i had one of them once and when tuned to standard the thing was starting to look like a recurve bow:P there are alot of brands that arent flakes that can make some decent 12 strings without having to shell out more than a grand. BUT...oh i'd love a taylor 12 string lol, know someone with one and as Borat would say "Itssss Varrry Niceeeee!"
I just picked up a 1973 Hofner 12 string off Ebay for 27.00. I only needed to change the bridge saddle and replace two tuner buttons. Good deal imo. Sounds incredible and has tons of mojo.
Quote by i_don't_know
This thread just got me thinking.

In 1988, was $400 still considered to be in the "don't bother" price range for a 12-string? Because that's how much my dad bought mine for back then, but I don't think it's bad - then again, it's the only 12-string I've ever played. It's a 1988 Sigma DM12-4.

You have to factor in 20 years of inflation. Having said that, Sigmas were made in Japan. $400 back in 1988 got you a pretty decent and well built guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Not sure, but I played an Alvarez 12 string that had to be at least 30 years old once....oh man it sounded AMAZING
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I purchased the Lowest 99 Dollar musicians friend 12 string just to have in the studio for when you need that sound. I restung it with light gauge martins. Set the neck. I mic'ed it with a good condenser and records well. Plays well and I played it next to high dollar 12 strin strings. If you are going to use it as a full time gig. Purchase a more substantial guitar.
If you are beginning 12 string don't invest a lot at first.