Ok, so my old desktop is a piece of crap that isn't worth upgrading. What would be a good desktop for recording for under $700? (I'd prefer it to already have firewire inputs).
On a budget of $700? uh.. I'd say a good quality desktop for that much doesn't exist. You could look for used units, but they wouldn't be too good either.
You should save up more or get a loan or something
no dice.
Do you have any friends who know how to make computers? If you do you can get a nice computer made for that kind of money.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by TheBassist101
On a budget of $700? uh.. I'd say a good quality desktop for that much doesn't exist. You could look for used units, but they wouldn't be too good either.
You should save up more or get a loan or something

My laptop was $599 and works wonders.

Quote by frog_friend
Do you have any friends who know how to make computers? If you do you can get a nice computer made for that kind of money.

Well, my dad's practically built the home desktop, as pretty much everything but the case has been replaced on it, so he could probably make one if I got the parts.
Magic Micro $428.00
* AMD Phenom 9500+ (Quad Core) AM2+ 4MB Cache
* Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan
* Biostar NF520-A2 nForce 520, PCI-EX, DDR2 ,Sound, LAN <===not the right motherboard
* 320.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache
* Samsung 20x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
* Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
* PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB
* Okia 500W ATX Power Supply
plus 4gigs rams and geforce 8500gt from newegg for $150 or so
and a e-mu 1212m for $100 refurbished from musicians friend
and last Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor (40 Watts) for $115 from samedaymusic
$428
+$160
+$100
+$115
$803
so i spent roughly $803 but i play games also so if you want pure recording you can go cheaper plus i have a peavey PV8 mixer that i run into the soundcard that was $178 but thats a local shop price you can get cheaper online

So 700 is a do able price for recording comp if you do some searching......hope that helps?

o and i have some things i recorded with the computer i just described running sonar on xp in my profile
try tigerdirect they have some awesome bargains.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!