So I just got myself an epiphone les paul custom plus. Now I need an amp to complement it.

I want an amp that is really versatile that plays all sort of music although I mostly play rock..I am torn between getting modelling amp with build in effects or just an amp but get like a multi-effects pedal say Zoom g1x.

I want the best bang for the buck at lowest price possible. And my budget is $200 as its only intended for home practise use and does not need to be loud.

Some of the modelling amps I am considering are

Peavey Vyper 15
Roland cube 15x
Line 6 spider III 15
Behringer gm108
Laney Lx20d
Vox VT15 or VT30 (really pushing budget)
Vox Ad15vt or Ad30vt (because the price is not much more)

OR an amp with no effects like vox pathfinder and get a multi effects pedals like zoom g1x that equates to about same price.

Which amp is good or which option is better?
If you're not gigging and don't mind a mediocre sound, the Vox VT15 or the Peavey Vyper 15 are your best bet.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

peavey Vypyr 30
its only $199

and i hope you are not gigging.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
anything but the line 6 spider. if i were you, i would try the vypyr, but if possible, you should try and save up some more money.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
peavey Vypyr 30
its only $199

and i hope you are not gigging.

Why? I won't be gigging it, its only for home practise or at max jamming with mates.
Quote by player-one
Why? I won't be gigging it, its only for home practise or at max jamming with mates.

ok so get the Vypyr
i was only saying that because 30watts SS cant do gigs without mic'ing
feel free to add me
Quote by player-one

You can't use a footswitch on the 15watt version
You can get a raven rg 60 for $200. The distortion SUCKS on it but use a pedal. The clean channel is nice. It is your standard amp. The only effect is reverb. But I have the 100 watt one and it's good with pedals and the clean sound is ok. But your gonna need a good distortion pedal for it. The sound is ok but if your like me just looking for an amp no ****ty effects get the raven. If your at home it's a good choice. They also make a 20 watt one for $100
No Vypyr. A lot of people recommended it to me when I was looking for a new amp. Worst decision I ever made. I hauled ass back to GC the next day and switched up for the Fender Frontman 212R 100watt and got a boss mega distortion soon after. The tone I get with that combination blows the Vypyr out of the water with my Les Paul Standard. Seriously, do not even consider the Vypyr, the tone is just god awful, the feed back scared my dog, and the volume is terribly touchy. You should get a plain SS like the Frontman, Raven, or some other amp with a good clean. Then save up some cash if you want a quality effects pedal.
My Rig-
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncans) {My Baby ^_^}
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Deanguitarist39
You can get a raven rg 60 for $200. The distortion SUCKS on it but use a pedal. The clean channel is nice. It is your standard amp. The only effect is reverb. But I have the 100 watt one and it's good with pedals and the clean sound is ok. But your gonna need a good distortion pedal for it. The sound is ok but if your like me just looking for an amp no ****ty effects get the raven. If your at home it's a good choice. They also make a 20 watt one for $100

NO. The amps are awful, you need to stop recommending them, and stop talking about them. They are not good amps, so just STOP.

TS, My vote goes to the Vox or the Vypyr.
Quote by GNRjungle87

NO. The amps are awful, you need to stop recommending them, and stop talking about them. They are not good amps, so just STOP.

TS, My vote goes to the Vox or the Vypyr.

No. Cool. I can say no as well. Listen you clown, unless you've got any actual firsthand experience with these amps, shut up. The Vypyr is the worst amp you can possibly consider, stop jumpin the ignorance band wagon of these forums, it's misleading and shows you can't judge for yourself.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
No. Cool. I can say no as well. Listen you clown, unless you've got any actual firsthand experience with these amps, shut up. The Vypyr is the worst amp you can possibly consider, stop jumpin the ignorance band wagon of these forums, it's misleading and shows you can't judge for yourself.

Yeah, actually I can judge for myself. The Raven and the Frontman are two of the worst amps ever made. The Vypyr is better for him in this case, because he wants a modeling amp.

Look at his original post:

Quote by player-one
I want an amp that is really versatile that plays all sort of music

You think a Frontman or Raven is really versatile, that it can play all different sorts of music?

Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by GNRjungle87

TS, My vote goes to the V ox or the Vypyr.

it does suck for serious gigging. He is not even gigging. He needs a CHEAP amp. The raven sucks without a pedal but all I'm saying is the clean is fine and if you use a pedal infront of it will be JUST AS GOOD as any other $200 solid state.
I would rather have an amp for $200 with a decent clean and a nice pedal instead of a ****ty 15 watt digital amp for more or the same price. If you don't want to buy a pedal get re vyoer but I'm saying I'd rather spend $200 for a decent 100 watt amp instead of $200 for a 30 watt digital amp. Your tone will never change with a digital amp no matter what you do. Digital amps suck.
Last edited by Deanguitarist39 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Deanguitarist39
it does suck fir serious gigging. He needs a CHEAP amp. The raven sucks without a pedal but all I'm saying is the clean is fine and if you use a pedal infront of it will be JUST AS GOOD as any other $200 solid state.

Not versatile AT ALL, and why spend money on a crappy amp and a pedal when he can get just an amp that will have a variety of tones, and will sound better in every way?
Quote by GNRjungle87
Yeah, actually I can judge for myself. The Raven and the Frontman are two of the worst amps ever made. The Vypyr is better for him in this case, because he wants a modeling amp.

Look at his original post:

You think a Frontman or Raven is really versatile, that it can play all different sorts of music?

I never said they were versatile, but if he wants an amp with terrible tone he can grab a Vypyr. I actually have the Frontman, and actually have used the Vypyr. The difference between the two is astounding. I don't care for the Ravens but they are a good substitute for the Vypyr. The distortion built in is god awful, this I know, but unless you have ever plugged in a good distortion pedal to the cleans of the Frontman (I seriously doubt you have) then you don't know the Frontman's potential, and saying you have is convenient enough for me to assume you're lying. The Vypyr is versatile. But its tone and sound slays my ears.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by RisingFreedom09
I never said they were versatile, but if he wants an amp with terrible tone he can grab a Vypyr. I actually have the Frontman, and actually have used the Vypyr. The difference between the two is astounding. I don't care for the Ravens but they are a good substitute for the Vypyr. The distortion built in is god awful, this I know, but unless you have ever plugged in a good distortion pedal to the cleans of the Frontman (I seriously doubt you have) then you don't know the Frontman's potential, and saying you have is convenient enough for me to assume you're lying. The Vypyr is versatile. But its tone and sound slays my ears.

TS, ignore this user and Deanguitarist and listen to Weeping_Demon7.

VT15 or Vypyr 15.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Not versatile AT ALL, and why spend money on a crappy amp and a pedal when he can get just an amp that will have a variety of tones, and will sound better in every way?

A real amp will have a better tone than a digital amp. I didn't say it was versitile. I said the cleans are ok and distortion is fine with a pedal.
TS the same exact thing happened to me, don't fall for this guy's stupidity, because I made the mistake of listening to a UG list of people who said Vypyr. It doesn't matter, its versatile, but it will make your new Custom sound like a piece of trash. You can save for a good pedal and mix it with the cleans of an SS amp. If you're set on the modeling road, get the Line 6, it has proven its worth by staying on the market this long, and its tone isn't that bad. Regardless, take it from someone with experience with making mistakes looking for a good amp.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
Quote by Deanguitarist39
A real amp will have a better tone than a digital amp. I didn't say it was versitile. I said the cleans are ok and distortion is fine with a pedal.

have you tried a Vetta ??

and to rising something and deandguitarist and +1 to GNRjungle weeping demon and the others.

and to rising something , you probably got a lemon. the Vypyr 30 i played a few days ago eats the Frontman.
i have the front man and its cleans are decent, but the Vypyr's are better....
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
have you tried a Vetta ??

and to rising something and deandguitarist and +1 to GNRjungle weeping demon and the others.

and to rising something , you probably got a lemon. the Vypyr 30 i played a few days ago eats the Frontman.
i have the front man and its cleans are decent, but the Vypyr's are better....

Have you tried plugging in a good distortion pedal to the cleans on it? Holy ****, the tone kills the Vypyr. A lemon... No. I was forced to play two Vypyrs, because the GC guy wouldn't let me change my mind until I tried a second one. And Wtf is a tab, try not to be childish by attempting to degrade me by not typing out my full user name. Clown.
My Rig-
-Fender Frontman 212R
-Boss DS-1
-Boss MD-2
-Boss Noise Gate
cheers for the input guys. how about the option of a cheaper amp with no built in effects and get a cheap multi-effects pedal?
Quote by RisingFreedom09
Have you tried plugging in a good distortion pedal to the cleans on it? Holy ****, the tone kills the Vypyr. A lemon... No. I was forced to play two Vypyrs, because the GC guy wouldn't let me change my mind until I tried a second one. And Wtf is a tab, try not to be childish by attempting to degrade me by not typing out my full user name. Clown.

im a kid so yea im childish >.>

and i have a Frontman, and i just cant put a distortion pedals infront of it even a Seymour Duncan Metal Mayhem (its a good one)
feel free to add me
Quote by player-one
cheers for the input guys. how about the option of a cheaper amp with no built in effects and get a cheap multi-effects pedal?

I wouldn't. A cheap multifx will sound like crap. I recommend the Vypyr 30 for your situation. You need access to a wide variety of tones quickly and easily, definition of a modelling amp.

Plus, I'm recommending it as someone who has actually played the Vypyr 30. I've played it, the Vypyr 75 and the Vypyr Tube 60 and 120. Probably the best amp for the price as far as the variety of modelling you get. The tube version is obviously better, but in your budget, I'd recommend the Vypyr 30. Don't get the 15W version as it doesn't have as many amps/effects/stompbox models.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by Deanguitarist39

Aren't you the guy who just said that you didn't want your Raven anymore?