looking for bass amp under $600 Canadian

- want gain control
- combo amp want to get over drum to be easy so 100w- 200w
- I play mostly rock, punk, metal
- my bass right now is a squire p bass (if that matters)
thx guys I am considering both right now. Although I have heard that ampeg is a really good brand for what I am playing. HAve I heard right from the sales man and if so is there any good combos in my price range?
Ampeg's combo amps are considerably less quality then their high end heads and cabs.

I wouldn't buy an ampeg combo, I played a Peavey Max 115 for a couple years and i loved it.
It wasn't quite 100 watts but it cut fairly well with the gain control and mid freq selector, and its only $250.
I play bass!
A Kustom 200W (comes in 210 or 115) would be great. I believe it's a full 200W, whereas the Acoustic is 200W @ 4ohms. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kustom is retardedly loud, so it will sound louder than 200W.

Just be warned, they are HEAVY
Ashdown MAG. 300W is better than 200. =]
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
The Kustom combos accept an extension cab, so I'm pretty sure they're 200W @ 4-ohm, which should be around 100-125W alone. So yeah, they're the same as Acoustic. However, they're designed and built much better than the Acoustics and use better wood, so they're louder and will sound better.

Kustom and Acoustic are your best bets, but Sam Ash doesn't carry them and shipping to Canada is going to be pretty bad. Ashdown, as mentioned, may also have something, but I'm not sure of the transfer rate of USD to CAD...it'd be right at the top. Again, shipping would be terrible.

What other online sites are in Canada? All I know of is Sam Ash.
Nope, no sig here.
^ Alright, wasn't sure about that. Kustom is perceived to be louder, at any rate. I'd go with an Ashdown then, since they're 307W @ 4ohms, and they're nice besides.

MF ships to Canada, and I don't think the added cost is too hefty.

Axemusic is a Canuck store.
http://www.axemusic.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=69&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&strProductsOrderBy=P_Price&manf=
White Horse BP150. It won bass amp of the year in a magazine but not sure which one. It only costs about £150 and it's 150w. Great value for money.

Sorry I don't know the currency conversion.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by Bassist Rising at Jun 30, 2009,
You can almost get a decent head/cab with that cash. Check these out:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/b212.htm

Carvin B600 Head
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX600

Note: I did not check the wattage ratings of the cabinet, so it may not match with the head. This was just to give you an idea.

EDIT: I didn't realize you said Canadian dollars, so this post probably no relevance anymore.
Last edited by grifff at Jun 30, 2009,
Thank you everyone for your sugestions.Keep them coming but remember that I want a combo and I live in Canada, Ontario. I think I am leading towards the kustom combo or maybe the acoustic. Correct me it I am wrong but it seems to be that kustom is better but is also more expense. Also I want to ask. Is the acoustic bass amp more for jazz, blues and old school rock? I heard it on YouTube and although the sound isn't very good I know but it seemed to be more for that type of stuff. But it is like $200 cheeper then the acoustic. ....... sorry if this is hard to read it was typed with an iPod touch
Quote by george gibson
I ment the sound through YouTube wasn't good not the acoustic amp it was pretty good

This is probably going to be the last amp you ever buy (unless you end up buying a cab). And if its not, it will be your main amp for a long time I assume. I would be less concerned about the $200 and more concerned with getting the amp you really want
Acoustic B100 or B200. I'd go for the B200 simply because it can get louder and has a horn. Gain control, volume, frequency notch for fine-tuned EQing, and a 4 band EQ. I have the B100 and it's oh so tasty. However, I don't know how it will handle metal. It could work though.

Also, don't go for the Ampeg combos. If you're gonna get an Ampeg, get a full-blown 8x10.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by george gibson
Thank you everyone for your sugestions.Keep them coming but remember that I want a combo and I live in Canada, Ontario. I think I am leading towards the kustom combo or maybe the acoustic. Correct me it I am wrong but it seems to be that kustom is better but is also more expense.

I think you have to border hop or have it shipped to get an Acoustic in Canada, just so you know.

The Kustom is more expensive but better built. Also take a look at the Ashdown Mag 300 410, or whatever the real name is. It's probably a bit over 600CAD with the exchange rate
how is the Kustom Groove 310C Bass Combo Amp compared to the
Kustom KBA 210C 2x10" Bass Combo they are the same price on /bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com
If you can get the Acoustic B200 then get it. I love mine, handles Metal great and it's pretty ****ing loud.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by george gibson
how is the Kustom Groove 310C Bass Combo Amp compared to the
Kustom KBA 210C 2x10" Bass Combo they are the same price on /bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com

well, do you need that much power? I don't like it myself, personally. I think it's too much for a single 310 cab to handle, but it'll be reliable. Do a search, tonnes come up
ya 1200w is kinda alot of power and it is 140 pounds so ya just thinking it is the same price
2 8" speakers doesn't seem like it'll get very good lows.

so yeah, probably not.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032#new or the kustom 115, and eventually a 410 might be your best bet. 115s aren't very punchy, but I think it's better than a 210. not in terms of punchiness, just over all
I would make it a pre-requisite that you can later add another cab to any Bass combo, the difference is amazing and makes you much more flexible, quite a few Bass combos do not have extension cab facilities.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I would make it a pre-requisite that you can later add another cab to any Bass combo, the difference is amazing and makes you much more flexible, quite a few Bass combos do not have extension cab facilities.

Big +1. Which is one more reason for the kustom
I can not get the acoustic or any of the kustoms in my area how is the The Solid State Traynor DynaBass DynaBass 200 for my style and how is the other traynor amp DynaBass 200T - 200w 2x10'' compared to it.
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
BRyce Gibson don't reply on my forum we live in same house
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
The only way for me to get custom is through musiciansfriend.com BUt it says it doesn't ship free to Canada. Can anyone give me some info on this website thing. IS it going to cost me like $200 to ship it to me in south Ontario? and stuff like that...
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by Canadian_basser
Traynor bought yorkville, and the two are very similar. They're transparent, though I stick stubbornly to my hatred of 210s

Why the hate for the 210?
Quote by tubatom868686
Why the hate for the 210?

They don't have the punch of a 410, the low end of a 115, or the portability of a 110/112. That might sounds stupid, but that's what I think :P I just don't like the sound from them.