So I basically came home from a bad jam. There was a drummer, guitarist, and a bassist.
I had previously jammed with the bassist before and did not want to again, and I wasn't expecting him there, but I was cool with it, I thought, let's jam.
And the guitarist plays this one riff, sloppily, then plays it again A DIFFERENT WAY, and expects me to learn it just by watching him. I was trying to be patient with him and asked him to break it down so I could just get the gist of it. He keeps playing it a different way EVERY TIME, sloppily. So I asked him to play it once, and I was going to watch his picking hand to see if he was doing downstrokes or triplets. It was really erratic. Then, I asked him to play it again, but only this time, I was going to observe his fretting hand. I got what he was doing down, and I played it the same way every time for that section of the song that they were doing(an original).
Basically, he has a huge ego fit, and thought he was the greatest thing in the world.
The drummer could only do tribal-like beats(like Sepultura) and I was trying to go along with that. He said if the guy who played sloppily wasn't here, that he wouldn't be here. That didn't bother me as I wouldn't have either.
Am I in the wrong here? I was very patient with both of them, and they were trying to do stuff like BLS, Lamb of God and Slipknot, and I'm more of the Cynic, Atheist, Death, Dream Theater type of guy.

Tl;dr, Guitarist had a huge ego fit, thought he was the greatest thing in the world, drummer admired his sloppy playing, I had already previously jammed with the bassist and didn't really like it. Should I move on?

And I'll just say this for everyone: Cool story, bro. Appreciate anyone who has had similar experiences to mine.
Doesn't sound like you enjoy playing with any of the three of them, so I can't imagine any reason to play with them again.
That's a no brainer, you hate everything about jamming with them, why would you go back? Jamming with sloppy musicians is the worst.
It's just really ridiculous how somebody can have a huge ego like that. This is naive, but I feel if you're a musician and you're making a song, it should be played the same way for that section of the song every time. And when everybody does have it down, that's when you experiment and try to see what works. But to expect somebody to get a riff down that keeps changing and is not played that well to begin with...That's impossible, a virtuoso wouldn't be able to do that. By no means am I saying that I am, but come on, that's just impossible. The thing that really got me was that he was being a dick about it. It should really be about music and not hissy fits. He just had a really bad attitude.
If you're making a song, it should be about working together to make the best song that you can make. Why do people insist that their egos get in the way of that? Man. I want to say that I know the answer to that, but I don't. It really just boggles my mind.
Quote by ieatu
It's just really ridiculous how somebody can have a huge ego like that. This is naive, but I feel if you're a musician and you're making a song, it should be played the same way for that section of the song every time. And when everybody does have it down, that's when you experiment and try to see what works. But to expect somebody to get a riff down that keeps changing and is not played that well to begin with...That's impossible, a virtuoso wouldn't be able to do that. By no means am I saying that I am, but come on, that's just impossible. The thing that really got me was that he was being a dick about it. It should really be about music and not hissy fits. He just had a really bad attitude.
If you're making a song, it should be about working together to make the best song that you can make. Why do people insist that their egos get in the way of that? Man. I want to say that I know the answer to that, but I don't. It really just boggles my mind.

I recently came up with a mathematic equation that goes as follows, the sloppier a player is, the bigger the ego. But honestly, I don't know what it is with sloppy guitar players and thinking their all stars, I've noticed the same kind of thing among some guitar players I know.
Last edited by intentionsthere at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by intentionsthere
I get what you mean and I can really imagine the type of dude in my head. Anyways, as for things being played the same way every time, for certain types of music, that's not true, but for metal and such, If your not constant in your playing, you should probably play something else or work on your playing haha.

Well, yea, for other kinds of music, I know what you mean, but for like the stuff that I play, I like to be very precise. It was hard to watch that guy play. If you ever been in this situation, you know exactly what I mean, lol. Like, you want to tell the guy it's kinda bad, but you don't want to hurt his feelings, or appear like a dick yourself. Usually, I don't care, but this was my first jam with these guys, and in five minutes it was turning into high school. I simply do not care nor have patience for that, man. Anyways, thanks guys, I let it out, I feel better. Cheers
Quote by intentionsthere
I recently came up with a mathematic equation that goes as follows, the sloppier a player is, the bigger the ego. But honestly, I don't know what it is with sloppy guitar players and thinking their all stars, I've noticed the same kind of thing among some guitar players I know.

It's just ridiculous. He tried to play lead, and kept cocking the wah the whole time! Just half-fretting his notes and having a real rock star moment, or something. You know exactly what I mean. I'm like, there are tons of better players, better than you, and better than me. Just quit thinking you're the shit. That's what I wanted to say the whole time, and I really should've said it. Whatever. He wouldn't try to work it out, he wouldn't even speak, he would just kept playing whatever he was trying to play. It was very awkward. The drummer was just eating it up. I don't get it.
Stick with them if:

They do gigs for cash
You can get free stuff
They have a hot sister/s

Leave them otherwise.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Stick with them if:

They do gigs for cash
You can get free stuff
They have a hot sister/s

Leave them otherwise.

Man, that's whats even worse, . They're not lined up for any paying gigs, they've never even PLAYED a gig, I can't really gain anything from them in any way. I'll just go about it my own way, try to find some people to make MUSIC with. No ego, or anything. It just sucks because I know how prevalent that shit is. Guess I'll have to keep trying. And everyone, I wasn't asking if I should stay with them, hell no, I was asking if what I did was the right thing to do, like be patient with them and stuff, and not try to be a dick about it, just try to make the song the best it can be.
Last edited by ieatu at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by ieatu
Man, that's whats even worse, . They're not lined up for any paying gigs, they've never even PLAYED a gig, I can't really gain anything from them in any way. I'll just go about it my own way, try to find some people to make MUSIC with. No ego, or anything. It just sucks because I know how prevalent that shit is. Guess I'll have to keep trying.

Def. not worth it, that really sucks though, me and my friend jam every now and again, but we're gonna get a band together seeing as he knows a drummer and i can sing/scream decently and play guitar too :P

So yeah, good luck, but get a new band :P
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Def. not worth it, that really sucks though, me and my friend jam every now and again, but we're gonna get a band together seeing as he knows a drummer and i can sing/scream decently and play guitar too :P

So yeah, good luck, but get a new band :P

Hey good luck with that, and sorry if I sound like a whining bitch, lol. Yea, I will. Thanks.
And another thing was that he was playing the Crazy Train solo, and said he did it the exact same way Randy did, but he put his picking hand over the other strings to mute the noise while doing hammer-ons and pull-offs. Randy NEVER did that. I've only seen people like Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani do that(I'm sure other people do it too), and I've never seen Randy do the Crazy Train solo like the way he did live. So basically he was full of shit. I remember thinking that his vibrato on that really sucked(The guy who was doing the solo, not Randy). I did it note for note with none of what he did, and the intonation was on and everything. He then did it after I did it, quite badly, and said that's how it was done. I was like What the hell ever man.
Quote by ieatu
Hey good luck with that, and sorry if I sound like a whining bitch, lol. Yea, I will. Thanks.

Thanks

..and whining bitch > egotistic douche
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Thanks

..and whining bitch > egotistic douche

Hey, true that. At least the whining bitch would probably be able to play, and I would probably tolerate it, though I shouldn't.
Heh, atleast you got to play with other people. I'm always playing by myself. Death and Dream theater own \m/

would be nice to play with some more serious guitarists though
its fun an all to play with other musicians, but ive had my share of the ones who dont know **** about music in general and just play other peoples stuff with horrible timing, and it makes me soooooo aggravated cause I usually play with other guitarist who have many years on me, so I assume there going to be good, and then there timing is horrible, no creativity, and what they do play is quite sloppy and infuriating when they try to solo over a solo in a jam =( but its all good fun.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
good morning thread starter. no one ever said making music was easy and every day i wonder if i'm about to give up. i'm not really the best at guitar but i can play some stuff... mostly simple songs. a lot of stuff off the beatles first few albums, sgt peppers, a lot of sublime songs bob marley ..etc. i have definitely entertained people before...especially drunks and i know i have it in me to learn really hard songs but no one takes the time to teach this stuff to you unless you pay them good money..something i don't have. perhaps one day i'll get lucky and meet a guitar master who doesn't mind showing me a few new things each day for free.. until then i've been on my own for awhile now.. since i was 15.....or perhaps one day i'll get rich and be able to afford it. either way is fine by me. hahah

I mean yeah I learned a lot on my own too, but nothing too miraculous or complex, and everyone knows no matter what you go faster with a teacher. Sure I can jam out to a lot of songs but in the end, there are some things I just can't figure out on my own and day after day I find myself ****ed and not advancing, making life seem almost rather pointless. I guess I just need money then I'll be able to record in a studio, release tons of copies, and then train under someone advanced so I can learn hard **** for my next album.

I don't believe in talent really I just believe in right place right time and devotion.
The times they are a changin'.....
Last edited by Italy's Finest at Jun 29, 2009,
It's fun to play with others but not like that. I understand though and I had my share of them especially this one friend whose ego is fatter than his fat ass. Plays the wrong chords all the time. Sucks.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by Freepower
FFS - man up.

A bad guitarist is an egomaniac? Seriously? Get over it, move on. I don't know why you care.

Did you not read any of my other posts? I got over it. FFS, read everything in a thread before you post.
Quote by punk_metal2007
its fun an all to play with other musicians, but ive had my share of the ones who dont know **** about music in general and just play other peoples stuff with horrible timing, and it makes me soooooo aggravated cause I usually play with other guitarist who have many years on me, so I assume there going to be good, and then there timing is horrible, no creativity, and what they do play is quite sloppy and infuriating when they try to solo over a solo in a jam =( but its all good fun.

It's not that he was just a sloppy guitarist and an egomaniac. It's the fact that he got away with it from me that burns me. World's biggest chip on his shoulder. It just irritates me that I let him get away with that attitude, that's all. Would you let someone who YOU JUST MET treat you like a dick, walk over you, ignore you by playing a sloppy solo, try purposely to not try to have a productive jam session, and act all non-chalant about it? It's ridiculous, I just met the guy. And he in five minutes was already acting like something crawled up his ass. That's all.
And Freepower, I know you've met someone like this. I don't know the kind of person you are, but it just burns me to see someone acting like that and get away with it.
Quote by ieatu
Did you not read any of my other posts? I got over it. FFS, read everything in a thread before you post.

You know, I did read the other posts... and I don't see you getting over it anywhere. In fact, could you point out to me where you got over it? All your other posts seem to consist of bitching about this guys playing and his attitude. Which aren't your problems. Get over it.

If it grates with you that you let him do it, learn your lesson, leave next time. Or stick with it and try to make it work. Don't let yourself get wound up by a nobody.
Quote by Freepower
You know, I did read the other posts... and I don't see you getting over it anywhere. In fact, could you point out to me where you got over it? All your other posts seem to consist of bitching about this guys playing and his attitude. Which aren't your problems. Get over it.

If it grates with you that you let him do it, learn your lesson, leave next time. Or stick with it and try to make it work. Don't let yourself get wound up by a nobody.

In one post, I said I felt better, that I let it out. I'm pretty sure that's as close as I'm gonna get to getting over it. It's like the 6th post, man. And I also acknowledged that I was acting like a whining bitch, the 11th post, I believe. I just wanted to clarify if I did everything a mature person would.(Except posting it to people I've never met on the internet. Not really mature, lol)
I'll try not to next time. Even if they can't play, I want to be able to work it out so that we have some songs. But it takes two to argue, and it takes two to work together.
Thanks for the comments, anyways.
Last edited by ieatu at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Freepower
Much more chilled.

Now, cultivate that attitude.

Meh, he's long gone if that's what you mean. I'd honestly never want to deal with or see his face again. :/ If I do, I would be like the guy in the FUUUUUU pics, lol.
Anyways, I'm cool, I'm gonna check out some lessons. HINTITY HINT HINT. What are some good books about modal theory? Any threads about it? Thought I saw a thread about it somewhere...Peace outtie.*I swear I'm the only guy who says "Peace out" anymore...so 2005.
Quote by ieatu
Man, that's whats even worse, . They're not lined up for any paying gigs, they've never even PLAYED a gig, I can't really gain anything from them in any way. I'll just go about it my own way, try to find some people to make MUSIC with. No ego, or anything. It just sucks because I know how prevalent that shit is. Guess I'll have to keep trying. And everyone, I wasn't asking if I should stay with them, hell no, I was asking if what I did was the right thing to do, like be patient with them and stuff, and not try to be a dick about it, just try to make the song the best it can be.

TS: If I were you, I'd look elsewhere for a band. I mean most bands have a member who has an ego problem or that doesn't exactly get along with the rest of the band on all occasions...but it sounds like you have this problem with all parties involved
What are some good books about modal theory? Any threads about it? Thought I saw a thread about it

Check the archive's and xxdarrenxx's sig for good modes threads. Apart from that, I'd recommend you get really, really good at major/minor key stuff before even considering it because about 95% of the music you like is based on that.
Quote by eyebanez333

TS: If I were you, I'd look elsewhere for a band. I mean most bands have a member who has an ego problem or that doesn't exactly get along with the rest of the band on all occasions...but it sounds like you have this problem with all parties involved

It is kinda funny now that I look back at it. A waste of time, but like I've been saying, it's ridiculous to treat someone like a dick 5 mins prior to meeting them. People these days, right?
And Freepower, kudos, I will check the archieves, and that guy's sig. I'm pretty decent at the minor key stuff, though I'd really actually like learning the major key stuff to vary it up. Thanks, and I guess this thread should now be about just experiences that you had that were bad jams. Just venting, I guess. But there's already something in the pit for that. :/ Cool, thanks guys.
Modes will make a lot more sense if you make sure you understand the major scale first