I'm looking for a guitar for around $1,000 to 2,000. I want it to have a heavy but ultra-clear tone, great for rock, great harmonics, and is good for shreading. I've been looking at the Les Paul and some strats, but i also like some ESPs. Any suggestions?
Thats a tough one, usually ultra clear and heavy don't go together.

In that price range, really any guitar will do. Try every guitar that you can find and start picking out features and things on each that you like and want. Then try to find one that has all the features you like. Go for a guitar that "feels" right. Don't worry about sound as much.

For the heavy/clear sound you want, I would say get some nice pickups. Dimarzio Evo's are about as clear as you can get with humbuckers. They're so clear actually, they have a reputation for showing all your mistakes in your playing lol.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by likelyanonymous
if you've tried both, how do you compare the broadcaster and the les paul?

lol, I don't even think I could compare them. They're nearly two completely differant instruments.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
if you like les pauls, the les paul BFG is in your price range, and its got a good heavy tone. you can't afford a standard unless you bump your price range up by $1000 and it would be pointless anyways. the les paul is not for heavy music. i would say ESP Eclipse but its well out of that price range. so my vote goes for the les paul BFG
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
if you like les pauls, the les paul BFG is in your price range, and its got a good heavy tone. you can't afford a standard unless you bump your price range up by $1000 and it would be pointless anyways. the les paul is not for heavy music. i would say ESP Eclipse but its well out of that price range. so my vote goes for the les paul BFG

No it isn't... ESP Eclipse is in the middle of his price range.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Standard-Series-Eclipse-II?sku=516653#new
If your in the USA (which I am assuming), IMO, if you were able to spend $2000, I would get 2 guitars

What amp do you have?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by splamron
If your in the USA (which I am assuming), IMO, if you were able to spend $2000, I would get 2 guitars

What amp do you have?

Terrible idea. Get one great guitar, not two good ones. I'd say get the Eclipse II and add the remaining $500 to your amp fund.
i say find a decent guitar for half that (there are tons of great guitars for $1000) and save the rest for when you really know what you want, or for some other equipment. $1000 is A LOT of money!
The Eclipse II is a good choice, but if you want 24 frets go for the EC-401. But if you like superstrat guitars, check out the MH-1000 and MH-401. It all depends on your taste. Anyways, do you insist on ESP? And what are the specs that you seek in a guitar? (bridge, pickups, construction, frets...)
what amp do you have? in that price range i could easily list a ****load of guitars but no point in doing that if you're still playing through a roland cube 15 right?