If i bought an ultimate attenuator or similar, what would be the maximum i could attenuate for bedroom volumes (what number on the vol control could i reasonably go to on a 120w amp)? I have an eminance 75w speaker and they would be JJ tubes.

Additionally, i have a 6505 soon to be a 6202. Is it possible to put a volume control in the fx loop to attenuate, because these amps dont have a master volume?
Last edited by Klswitch at Jun 29, 2009,
That 'volume control in the loop' trick doesn't do anything except give you a way of fine-tuning your volume. It certainly doesn't make the power tubes work any harder, which is the reason most people want to attenuate their amps.

The amps you suggested are really all about preamp gain anyway, not the sort of amp you'd usually bother with an attenuator for.
For an attenuator, this is what is meant to be done.
Put the amp at about 6, then when you run the attenuator, it makes it run with the volume of about 4. The main goal was to get that tube saturation with out going overboard with volume. An attenuator is no solution to make a 120watt tube amp, crank it up and expect the attenuator to get rid of all that extra power.
Why is everyone on an attenuator trend lately????

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by kyle62
That 'volume control in the loop' trick doesn't do anything except give you a way of fine-tuning your volume. It certainly doesn't make the power tubes work any harder, which is the reason most people want to attenuate their amps.

The amps you suggested are really all about preamp gain anyway, not the sort of amp you'd usually bother with an attenuator for.

Edit:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ultimate-Attenuator-New-Factory-Warranty-Loaded_W0QQitemZ110406135926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b4b7f076&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1215%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

A REAL Ultimate Attenuator. Not that volume box crap.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by jc349
Why is everyone on an attenuator trend lately????

because people are buying hi wattage, ridiculously loud amps for their studio apartments...

thinkin about gettin one myself for my Maz 38. believe it or not the 38 watts is a bit too loud for band practice. Probably gonna get a dr z break lite installed in it
Quote by Bright Light
because people are buying hi wattage, ridiculously loud amps for their studio apartments...

thinkin about gettin one myself for my Maz 38. believe it or not the 38 watts is a bit too loud for band practice. Probably gonna get a dr z break lite installed in it

Or because we want power tube breakup without having to dime the amplifier and blow out our eardrums.

Even 5W is unbearably loud cranked.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I don't think this is the eBay Ultimate Attenuator he's talking about. There's an actual, $600 unit that's basically the best attenuator you can get.

I really don't know why so many UGers don't know about it.

No, he also asked about putting a volume control in the loop of a non-master-volume amp. Which does work as a volume control to some extent, but certainly not as an attenuator.
Quote by kyle62
No, he also asked about putting a volume control in the loop of a non-master-volume amp. Which does work as a volume control to some extent, but certainly not as an attenuator.

Yeah I just noticed that. I got as far as the "ultimate attenuator" part and didn't bother to read the 2nd paragraph, my bad.

Shows how foolish it is to assume somebody isn't going to write the stupidest part of the post last.

Edit: Thought I should also point out, the reason I jumped on it so quickly like that was I recently had somebody on here assume the Ultimate Attenuator I referred to in my gear post was a volume box and flamed me for thinking it would work.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Yeah I just noticed that. I got as far as the "ultimate attenuator" part and didn't bother to read the 2nd paragraph, my bad.

Shows how foolish it is to assume somebody isn't going to write the stupidest part of the post last.

Edit: Thought I should also point out, the reason I jumped on it so quickly like that was I recently had somebody on here assume the Ultimate Attenuator I referred to in my gear post was a volume box and flamed me for thinking it would work.

w/e