I'm trying to find ways of getting more sustain in my tone. i play with a very clean tone, occasionally with a bit of overdrive, but I need to find a way to get more sustain out of the cleans. My amps are a Vox AC15 and a fender Deluxe Reverb, primary guitars are a gibson les paul standard and a Fender road worn strat. I was thinking about putting a compressor on, which works, but i don't like the effect it has on the tone. what suggestions can you give me.

Oh, and my styles are country, blues, jazz, hard rock, and folk.

EDIT: I also do not use a pick, and i believe this does affect it somewhat. It's a struggle for me to find sustain lol
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 29, 2009,
What I would do is take the Deluxe Reverb and crank it up to about 4-5 or so with the les paul so that it's just starting to break up and try to coax some feedback so that you get that infinite sustaining kind of effect. You'll get some natural tube compression as well.
Quote by mamosa
Why would being clean affect your sustain?

ah, sounds like you don't play on clean very often.

clean does not have the same sustain as overdrive. the "clipping" that achieves overdrive naturally compresses the signal and makes it sustain for longer. a clean channel does not benefit from natural compression.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 29, 2009,
Sure it does, you just have to open up your amp a little more volume-wise. I mean, it won't be that super pristine clean, but...
OD/distortion causes compression, making the note ring out at a higher volume for longer. K?
K.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
OD/distortion causes compression, making the note ring out at a higher volume for longer. K?
K.

yes, i've explained that a few posts above. i however do not play with overdrive. so the method of overdriving my amp to achieve sustain is not an option. I've even considered having my amps modified for more wattage in order to give me more headroom with the cleans...
Compressor is what I think your best option is, then.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
ah, sounds like you don't play on clean very often.

clean does not have the same sustain as overdrive. the "clipping" that achieves overdrive naturally compresses the signal and makes it sustain for longer. a clean channel does not benefit from natural compression.

I actually usually play my electrics acoustically
more volume and play a bit harder. or if you really want sustain then a sustainiac or fernades sustainer system.
technique is actually quite an essential part of sustain. doing the right kind of vibrato and holding the string down tightly enough can do a world of good.

also, volume helps even with cleans although it needs to be f***ing loud to do anything.
I a good clean tone.

I agree that more volume would help [assuming your amps do have a master volume].
Turn up the power amp section a bit more, but not too much, so you'll get cleans which sustain much more, and I've noticed you can get more dynamics too.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Try a different compressor. Some colour your tone a lot and others don't colour it much at all. For transparent compression I like the cmatmods sigma comp.
Not taking any online orders.
Sustainer pedal would work out well for you, buddy.

and lulz at what does being clean have to do for it?

As said earlier, clipping that amps make distortion out of makes the notes more audible for longer periods of time.

If you don't believe me, play any chord (open or barred I care not) on your clean channel and count how long it takes for it to start getting quieter, then when it stops being audible. Do the same with your distortion channel.
if you want a good, transparent compressor cheap, look at the BYOC compressor kit. even just the two knob one ($60 for the kit) is marvelous.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson