i used my guitar 2 days ago and left it. today when i decided to play it.. my high E string wont ring from the 18th fret to 21st fret.. but the 22nd fret rings. all my other strings work fine.. i changed the strings and it still has the same problem...

2 days ago it worked fine... so i dont know what happened.... could it be my bridge?
Last edited by iRKOu at Jun 29, 2009,
See if the string happens to be touching the pickup while you are playing. If so, then lower the pickup.
Quote by MannyC2107
^^^ that, or the bridge height maybe?

Can't be. There are 7 dead frets.

Quote by BeethovensBust
See if the string happens to be touching the pickup while you are playing. If so, then lower the pickup.

...it's on specific frets. If it was touching the pickup there wouldn't be sound on any of the frets.
Raised fret or pickup too high is my guess. Easy enough to lower the pup but if its not that then gat a tech to look it over. I don't really see how a pickup could become too high in 2 days without use so my money is on a fret popped up.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

if that were the case, wouldnt the whole string than not ring or ring in tune? on the frets above the 15h fret doesnt ring. im a beginner on guitars so i dont know much

and any local guitar shops (like guitarcenter) would be able to fix this right?
the GC near here has a full shop in the second level. just go in and ask if they've got a tech you could talk to
Quote by iRKOu
if that were the case, wouldnt the whole string than not ring or ring in tune? on the frets above the 15h fret doesnt ring. im a beginner on guitars so i dont know much

and any local guitar shops (like guitarcenter) would be able to fix this right?

No. When you push the string down, it hits the fret. At lower frets it does not hit, once you reach fret 15, it does and the string does not work, once you get to fret 21 (this is the fret that is popped up) the 21st fret is no longer hitting the vibrating string because it it fretted there and there is no vibration at this point.

If your bridge has this adjustment, raise the action of the first string. If not, you can take it in for a fret dressing. (I had this done on an old acoustic guitar that warped with climate change, it's not cheap) Guitar center may or may not be a good place for this, it depends on who they've got to do the work.

Poor mans option: Beat the raised fret back with a hammer, but don't come crying back here if you break something. A hammer is a blunt object designed to deliver large jolts of kinetic energy. A guitar is a delicately adjusted musical instrument. You do the math.
well i just went back and the 15th fret seems to ring fine now... its now my 18th fret to 21st fret.. but the 22nd fret rings. which i changed in my original post...

i tried to change the intonation but nothing changed... and it may be the fretting problem because lately its been getting really hot here.... (over 80 degrees) from the average 75 and has been raining more

and how much was it to have a fret dressing?
Last edited by iRKOu at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by iRKOu
well i just went back and the 15th fret seems to ring fine now... its now my 18th fret to 21st fret.. but the 22nd fret rings. which i changed in my original post...

i tried to change the intonation but nothing changed... and it may be the fretting problem because lately its been getting really hot here.... (over 80 degrees) from the average 75 and has been raining more

and how much was it to have a fret dressing?

The climate change I was referring to was moving from Miami FL to Blacksburg VA. I went from a summer at 105+ degrees at about 95% relative humidity to a winter at about 0 with the heater taking the moisture out of the air. The climate change probably isn't it.

When I had the fret dressing done, I also had the bridge plate reinforced, glue injected under a brace where the top was pulling loose, and a bone saddle installed. Total cost: ~$200
wow... well i want to make one thing clear which is.. this only is happening to my 1st string.... if a fret did pop out, wouldnt it affect all my other strings?