hey! i was wondering what brands (or models in particular) can give me the deeeep bass suitable for a reggae band. But not muddy, I've been using a fender bxr100 and it's not too great . I'm all for buying used, so my range would be around $4-800ish. Combo or stack, whichever. I dunno if it matters, but I play a Ibanez SR400QM. I'd need some pretty good thump so it'd be good to have some headroom for small gigs and outdoor parties, etc... one love!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

i know they say spend more on amps than guitars, but a P pickup with flatwound strings are what separates the men from the boys as far as reggae thump goes.

edit: with your bass, i'd still recommend the flats. active EQ is going to give you a **** ton of tonal diversity, but flats will make the thump. i don't know about amps though. just steer clear of peavey i'd say because they sound very scooped to me even when i play flat (... like mine).
#DTWD
Quote by stinger12345
hey! i was wondering what brands (or models in particular) can give me the deeeep bass suitable for a reggae band. But not muddy, I've been using a fender bxr100 and it's not too great . I'm all for buying used, so my range would be around $4-800ish. Combo or stack, whichever. I dunno if it matters, but I play a Ibanez SR400QM. I'd need some pretty good thump so it'd be good to have some headroom for small gigs and outdoor parties, etc... one love!

I've never had problems with the BXR100. =/

Try a new amp with a 15 then, or a Fender/Squier Precision of some sort.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Flats and a P bass would do the job perfectly. If you can't afford to buy a new bass, favor the neck pickup, boost a bit of bass and low mids, palm mute the strings and play with your thumb, or a combination of your thumb and index if you want to play notes in quick succession. Ideally though, if you really, really want the reggae thumb, P bass+flats+15/18 inch cab would do perfectly.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jun 29, 2009,
For Reggae, you want as much mud as possible
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
It's a little under your price range but the Squier Deluxe V has a 'slap switch' which boosts the bass a lot. If you then cut the bass slightly you get a nice ska/reggae tone which is warm and boomy but not overly muddy, Try looking for a bass with a similar setup.
15" speakers, 18" speakers, no tweeters, maybe some huge horns.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^These are mainly Old School Reggae bass tones but for me I scoop my mids with the bottom being at 500hz and have just enough highs to keep it crisp with plenty of bass. It's quite aggressive but for more modern reggae like i play it works really well.

Quote by primusfan
i know they say spend more on amps than guitars, but a P pickup with flatwound strings are what separates the men from the boys as far as reggae thump goes.

edit: with your bass, i'd still recommend the flats. active EQ is going to give you a **** ton of tonal diversity, but flats will make the thump. i don't know about amps though. just steer clear of peavey i'd say because they sound very scooped to me even when i play flat (... like mine).

To me though the typical reggae tone nowadays is really driven by that roundwound active tone which is smooth, defined, bass heavy and very compressed - pretty much a slap tone with the highs taken out. The reason for that compression is to keep the thump without being muddy. This works really well with an MM or soapbar p'up, but can still be achieved with a P pickup

So to give you an example and being the massive reggae fan i am, I'm gonna post some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVoslo_xdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ejc4U9wE7Y

Enjoy
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Last edited by Double Basser at Jun 30, 2009,