Hey boys and girls, I've got a little jam group happening that we're thinking of making into a band

Myself - Lead Guitar + Vocals
Friend 1 - Drums + Backup Vocals
Friend 2 - Rhythm Guitar + Backup Vocals (lefty)

Now Friend 2 is just past what I'd call a beginner guitarist, he's been learning the guitar for just over a year and kinda knows what he's doing. I'll show him a chord progession or get him to play something and he'll pick it up in a few minutes unless it's ridiculous. However we're interested in starting a band, just a simple three peice indie rock stlye group, he'd go to bass and I'd just focus more on guitar. Has anyone got experience in situations like this? Any tips?

Things that may cause issues:
- he's never played bass before (though, lets be honest, simple bass isn't very hard)
- a decent left handed bass costs a bit of money Q_Q (his birthday IS in a few days though, so maybe his grandparents might get him one or something haha)

Positives:
- I know a bit about bass, basic scales and techniques (though I would never lable myself a bassist
- He is very, very keen, and will work towards it.
- He learned the guitar rather quickly

So basically:
What's a good lefthanded bass that wont drill a hole in hour pockets?
Things that will be good to speed up the learning? (songs, exersises etc)
Well the factor that he's a "quick learner" and plays guitar already will be helpful but bass is very different. If you're looking for any left handed bass and don't really mind about tone or anything... just go to your local music store and look around at the 'Fender' Squires they have in stock..

They're cheap and they work at least; sometimes they can be alright.
To help speed up learning just tell your mate to practice, practice, practice.
Simple as that, best of luck.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
If he can play beginner guitar, hed be able to do simple pickstyle bass easy as piss for your indie band. he could play with a pick doing simple stuff and learn fingerstyle when hes not with you guys until he can play fast enough with fingers. Then after that he can start doing more complex basslines etc.
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Yeah true true, we're not big on covers, most the stuff we do is either original or impro, however the type of sound you could compair us to is The Wombats or Bloc Party, something like that
Quote by UltimateDud
Yeah true true, we're not big on covers, most the stuff we do is either original or impro, however the type of sound you could compair us to is The Wombats or Bloc Party, something like that

If its original or improv then it doesnt really matter how good they are for now. They can easy do simple bass if they can play guitar allright. So just let them improve as you progress if you understand what im saying
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Decent left handed basses are P basses, J-basses (Squiers), their Fender ones are stupidly expensive at the moment anyway, and left handed they're an extra 10% on that.

Ibanez do good basses for the money you pay apparently (I say apparently, I'm going off friend reviews, I've never actually played one). I do know they have really small and fast necks though.

Edit: vvvvv Fail post vvvvv
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jun 29, 2009,
get a first act lol
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Gio-GSR200FM-LeftHanded-Bass-Guitar?sku=580512#new

I think practicing is the way to go, especially if you get a teacher. Even just for a month or two would really help out.

edit: I'll look for that bass on an Australian site for you.

I looked, and that billyhyde site is one of the least friendly sites I've ever seen. I can't find it.
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Jun 29, 2009,
Tell him to start lifting weights with his fingers! He will need to adjust his fretting hand for the bit of extra power required in fretting the larger strings.

A squire would do pretty well. If he doesn't like the feel of them, perhaps he could try an Ibanez GSR or SR.
Hi.