Hi guys

Did anybody here ever try the Epi les paul/SG prophecy GX(with the Dirty Fingers pickups)?
If so, any comments about quality/what genres they're good for?
Last edited by Firebirdz at Jun 29, 2009,
I've played some. They felt very low quality and cheap. All Epiphones I've played feel like that but the Prophecies feel cheaper. It might be due to the jumbo frets. The "less than stellar" frets on a guitar with medium frets aren't that bad but they feel a lot worst since they're bigger on the Prophecies. Epiphone SGs neck dive. I actually have a G-400 with 2 Dirty Fingers in it. It sounds good like the other Prophecies, but they just felt wrong to me. On the positive side, the satin neck is a nice touch. I thought it had to do with the Gibson scale but I've played ESP Eclipses with jumbo frets that felt fine. Try one out, you might like it. It seems great on paper, but they didn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
The GX series blows. Don't even bother. EX is the same price and you get way better quality pickups, plus, your guitar doesn't look so cheesy.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
i'm not sure ill take an EX series.it has EMG's,i heard they kinda suck with solid state amp, i have no idea how to change the batteries,and i dont play that much metal
What amp do you have?

And it's simple. There's a battery pack on the back that stores the battery. Every few months (or every 3,000 hours), pop out the battery, and stick a new one in. It's simple.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Changing the batteries is easy,don't let that turn you off it.
And yes,actives are usually bad with solid states,as active have more output than passive,which is designed to drive a tube amp.
Now I'm curious about something.Now afaik the main difference between actives and passives is the pre-amp in the actives yes?
So would sticking an extra pre-amp in your line from guitar to amp have the same effect?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ok.
i use a line 6 Spider III.even though i posted a thread recently saying i want it changed, it's a pretty good amp, and i got attached to it :P
Eh, I'd get an amp change first.
Also, due to the Dirty Fingers "extreme output," they also wouldn't sound so great through a Spider III.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Ian hawkins
Changing the batteries is easy,don't let that turn you off it.
And yes,actives are usually bad with solid states,as active have more output than passive,which is designed to drive a tube amp.
Now I'm curious about something.Now afaik the main difference between actives and passives is the pre-amp in the actives yes?
So would sticking an extra pre-amp in your line from guitar to amp have the same effect?

Actives actually aren't the hottest pickups. There are passives that are hotter. But the preamp is the only difference in actives and passives. Actives are actually just very low output pickups that are boosted by the preamp. But the pickup and preamp are a pair. You wouldn't get the same effect using a preamp because actives pickup different frequencies than passives. The pickup and preamp are one unit.
Quote by Snake™
Eh, I'd get an amp change first.
Also, due to the Dirty Fingers "extreme output," they also wouldn't sound so great through a Spider III.

What amp do you reccomend?
Fender Super Champ XD.

It ranges between $300-$400, but it's a tube amp with modeling features (such as on the Spider III).

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
how many watts is it? i only play at home so i dont need a big one.
also,if i'm switching amps i want a non-modeling one.
It's 15 tube watts (= 75 solid state watts). So if you ever want to gig you can use it fine.

And what would your budget for a new amp be?

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
i'm not sure.
I'm planning on getting a new guitar in 700, but i might wait with that.
I currently have 350$,and next month i'll get about 200 more.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
the main thing about the firebird is not it's tone.it's an extremley uncomfortable guitar.
I dont really think i need a tube amp,either.
Really? I've always found Firebirds comfortable.

Anyways, if you wanna stick to solid state, this might be good for you.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
buy a B-52 At-112 60 watts of tubey goodnes for like $350 - $400 i can get any tone i want out of mine
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS