I have an assignment on Economics to do. We have to make a report about out sourcing and stuff and I chose the guitar industry. I dont know if this is the right forum. But I would like to know if there is a site telling the differences of guitars made by Gibson and by Epiphone. By this I mean do they order the materials and parts from the same place, where do they get the wood, where do they assemble the guitars, by whom etc. I need to compare the two brands and also do the same with Fender/Squier.

I tried searching and couldnt find any.

Big thanks to anyone who could help me.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Last edited by gflip69 at Jun 29, 2009,
i know a key difference between epi and gibson les pauls is that gibsons use a solid chunk of mahogony, whereas epiphone use laminates of mahogany stacked up. and they are built in different places
sorry i cant be of more help
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
I havent tried emailing them cause they might take time in answering. i have to submit this report tomorrow. It's a one day assignment.
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
Here is a link that gives general information about Les Pauls:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/lespaulguide

A few clicks down the page is a discussion about the differences between Gibsons and Epiphones:

Differences between Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls:

Country of origin - Gibsons made in USA, Epiphones made outside U.S.

Finish - Gibson uses thin nitrocellulose lacquer - ultra thin, ultra light (process takes weeks). Allows wood to breathe, over time gets thinner. The best finish for tone. Epiphones have polyurethane finish, which is more practical, takes a couple of days to apply, is not as labor intensive, and is a more durable finish.

Materials - Gibson uses higher-quality materials such as mahogany from South America. Epiphone uses less-expensive materials, or combinations such as alder and mahogany for the body.

Tonality - Epiphone Les Pauls have darker tone—more mids and bass—while Gibson Les Pauls have lighter overall tone.
I know guitars show where it was made in their online specs. Go ahead nd check that out.

This forum can really help you with the differences between guitars, but its' probably not gonna stand in class if you have to cite us.

The Fender/Squire and Gibson/Epiphone is kind of like Wall Mart and Sams Club, or a Old Navy and a Thrift Store

The big companies advertise and generally have a better selection and quality to their products. The two mentioned as 'big' make guitars with certain standards for the wood and hardware to be pristine to at worst, well done. Even in their factory non hand made series they use better raw materials. The smaller companies will use lesser quality wood and put multiple pieces of wood together to make the guitar (and I'm not talking bolt on necks, I'm saying multiple pieces of timber put together) and usually lesser quality hardware. They make cheaper products so that people can go out and buy them, and more of them as opposed to having to save 700$ for the cheapest Gibsons (dunno what the cheapest Fender non Squire is) each time, cashing in on people who want to have multiple guitars but do not have the income to buy a nice one every few years.

That is what they are in a nutshell.