I used the search bar, but it never seems to do me any good.

I am about to be in a band that is calling itself deathcore, which the only band experience I have is a heavy punkish type thing, which was extremely boring since I prefer to play harder stuff and it just wasnt my cup of tea no matter how much I tryed to make it.

and I usually write stuff and it sounds more like atreyu than anything, and im trying to break out of this.

basically the question is, what kind of techniques can I put more into my writing to make it sound more umm heavy I guess, if you give me a cannibal corpse song for example I can learn it with some practice and after a few days ill have it down pat.

if I didnt like heavy stuff I wouldnt be joining a band like this, I just dont really have much experience in writing like crazy metal stuff.

thanks in advance for any help, if you didnt understand any of this ill try to explain it diffrently. and as far as my grammar or whatever it sucks I am horrible at making correct sentences so sorry.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by punk_metal2007
I used the search bar, but it never seems to do me any good.

Can't help you there I don't get it either

Quote by punk_metal2007
I am about to be in a band that is calling itself deathcore, ... what kind of techniques can I put more into my writing to make it sound more heavy.

Try a lower tuning (D standard or C standard, my friend uses A standard but that's just too metal) and use lots of power chords on the 2 lowest strings...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
The only thing I can recommend is that you go and learn these "deathcore" songs.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
be honest with you I dont really know what deathcore would be considered lol, and I do use drop c and d standard, but if someone could tell me some bands that would be considered "deathcore" that would help me alot more than hearing some techniques to use.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Loadsa palm muting.
Growls.
F*cks.
Squeals.
Blood.
Inverted Crosses.
Crazy-vocalist-blowing-his-brains-out-widda-shotgun-then-crazy-guitarist-pickling-and-eating-it
On a more serious note, palm muting on open strings, harmonics, tapping, powercords.

You don't necessarily need low tunings for ultra heavy stuff. Kreator's Behind The Mirror in in E Standard I think...
Quote by punk_metal2007
be honest with you I dont really know what deathcore would be considered lol, and I do use drop c and d standard, but if someone could tell me some bands that would be considered "deathcore" that would help me alot more than hearing some techniques to use.

I'm sure wikipedia has a good list of deathcore bands.

Also, contrary to popular belief, lower tunings do not make your sound heavier. Your choice of notes determines heaviness.
Quote by Dream Floyd
Can't help you there I don't get it either

Try a lower tuning (D standard or C standard, my friend uses A standard but that's just too metal) and use lots of power chords on the 2 lowest strings...

Tunings don't make anything metal. TS, if it's "deathcore" then D standard or C standard won't really help. Use drop tunings; and no, drop A doesn't mean it's metal. The band Lamb of God uses drop D and no one's ever said that they aren't metal.

Don't bother with crazy arpeggios, use single notes but trem pick them. Like instead of 5-4-1 its 5555555-4444444444-11111111

Just play what comes to mind. Metal isn't the most complicated pieces of music.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I not a complete retard I know tuning doesnt make it heavier, but you cannot deny you can get lower in drop tunings(like open strings) but I stay in drop C as a preference not because I think if I play something in the tuning its metal, im not that bad off. and during my theory learning and the learning of the fretboard, scaled, ect. I was in drop C so it's far easier for me to just keep it that way, plus I like it better that way so why not.

and yeah I googled deathcore bands after seeing an earlier post, and I didnt know but I do listen to some bands that are considered deathcore, im just going to listen to more, and learn some songs and analyze the techniques they use in there playing and such.

thanks for the help UG!
Quote by SkyValley
Quote by larrytheguitar

Tunings don't make anything metal. TS, if it's "deathcore" then D standard or C standard won't really help. Use drop tunings; and no, drop A doesn't mean it's metal. The band Lamb of God uses drop D and no one's ever said that they aren't metal.

Don't bother with crazy arpeggios, use single notes but trem pick them. Like instead of 5-4-1 its 5555555-4444444444-11111111

Plenty of people have said Lamb of God aren't metal; They're metalcore.

A better example would have been Opeth, who play (primarily) in E standard.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Plenty of people have said Lamb of God aren't metal; They're metalcore.

A better example would have been Opeth, who play (primarily) in E standard.

Well, forget labels. Metalcore, deathcore, whatever, it should just be metal.

And yeah I was going to mention Opeth, but when you think about it, learning some Opeth isn't really deathcore material. Plus, I think they have more soft songs than brutalz.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Well, forget labels. Metalcore, deathcore, whatever, it should just be metal.

And yeah I was going to mention Opeth, but when you think about it, learning some Opeth isn't really deathcore material. Plus, I think they have more soft songs than brutalz.

Most of their songs have a large dynamic range, with some very heavy sections, and some soft sections. That being said, they do have songs that are all soft (Coil, Isolation Years, Windowpane, etc...)
Quote by larrytheguitar

I demand that you listen to Cynic and Atheist and then come back to me with that comment.
ya, like mix tremolo picked 5-th string notes with heavy distortion with 6-th string root power chords.
and if u want to learn a 'deathcore' song, pick up the latest guitar world. they have bludgeoned to death by suicide silence, and the dvd that comes with it shows u how to play properly. u could also check out suicide silence's youtube channel, one of their guitarists shows u how to play unanswered