Yeeei.
Invader kicks ass.
No you don't have to get a new pickup for the neck.
Go on Seymour Duncan's homepage and find a wiring diagram.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I think if you're going to replace one, might as well go all out and replace the other, if that's a guitar you'll be using for a long time.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Go buy a cheap 30w soldering iron for like 10 bucks, practice soldering on something first, then just follow the diagram it really isn't hard.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
changing pickups is easy. desolder the old one and put the new one in. the easiest way to do it is just put the wires from the new pickup where the wires were on the old pickup. so red wire on new goes to where the red wire on the old one was and so on.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wait until you get the new amp. Then decide how your tone should be tweaked (READ: Tweaked. A pickup swap does not simply improve tone. It's to tweak your tone closer to your ideal.) after you get a more ideal amp.

I am tired of reading this. Pickups do improve a persons tone. Quite a bit more than most people that post on this board make it out to be.

While certaintly a new amp will give a pig difference in sound, the pickup is a pretty important part of the signal going into the amp.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
I am tired of reading this. Pickups do improve a persons tone. Quite a bit more than most people that post on this board make it out to be.

While certaintly a new amp will give a pig difference in sound, the pickup is a pretty important part of the signal going into the amp.

Your right. Pickups make more of a difference than UG members give them. However, if your playing a crap started, it will sound like a crap starter amp. It will still had that muddy or fuzzy sound to it. Thus, a new amp would justify spending a few hundred bucks more than pickups would.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JLT73

He's simply stating that you may like the tone of your old pick-ups if you buy a new amp. So don't change what may not be broken. I think he knows full well the effective alteration of tone a pup swap can achieve.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm asking why you want a new pickup, because at the point you're at....with a little starter amp...I don't see the point in changing pickups.

Again, i stress NOT buying an Invader.

Agreed, Invaders are awful.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
As someone who wasted a few hundred dollars in the past on completely unnecessary pickup swaps, let me just say;

Don't freakin' do it.

Wait until you get your new amp, put the money you were going to spend on the pickups into said amp, and see how your tone sounds to you then.

If this doesn't satisfy you, then by all means, trade out your pickup(s). But first, find out what about them you don't like, and be extremely particular and specific about finding a pickup that corrects the problem.

This is coming from someone speaking from a state of regretful experience.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
You can probably find a better pickup than the Invader for cheaper....

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Agreed, Invaders are goddamn AWEFUL.

Corrected

What sound are you trying to achieve? There are pickups which are significantly better than the Invader. The Invader is only slightly better than the Dimebucker, and even that is a debatable.

If you're trying to achieve a A7X tone, please remember that Gates uses a modded Invader.

Like the others said, changing a pickup is a simple operation. Unsolder the original pickups wires and solder the corresponding wire to that location. Although you might want to check the colour coding first.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by JLT73

Meh. We always get into this, and you always recommend Super Distortions.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Meh. We always get into this, and you always recommend Super Distortions.

haha not always!
My Gear
Guitars:

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Quote by AngryGoldfish
He's simply stating that you may like the tone of your old pick-ups if you buy a new amp. So don't change what may not be broken. I think he knows full well the effective alteration of tone a pup swap can achieve.

I certainly know the full effect of a pickup swap. me and him go back and forth on some stuff, buts it all good man
My Gear
Guitars:

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Quote by JLT73
haha not always!

just joshin' with ya.

but I usually say that to people who are in the beginner-to-intermediate levels...when they may have the wrong idea about pickup swaps.

Yes, a pickup swap can be a significant difference, but not always to the degree people want. A lot of people don't even know what they want from their tone when looking for a pickup swap, and just try a generic combo of a JB/Jazz...etc...

I just think it's a good idea to put it all in perspective.