Hey guys, I ordered a Framus 1x12 off Thomann.de for 203 Euros, or £172.

Paid with visa debit, and all seemed fine, took them a week to process the order though :/

If any of you are familiar with buying with a debit card (im sure most of you are), in the UK, your 'available balance' goes instantly down, yet your 'balance' still shows the money you had in your account before you bought it and only falls once the item is shipped/or the bank processes your order.

For instance when I bought this Framus, I had lets say, £500 in my account (hypothetical!).
The statement shows this:

Balance: £500 Available Balance: £328

A week later of my account still being this it was still as shown above, the bank had not dropped the original balance number to coiincide with the available balance, which is longer than usual.

Now heres the weird part, after I got a text from Thomann saying my order was shipped. My bank balance rose back from being 'available balance' '£328', to the original '£500' .

Meaning they had not taken the money out of my account, AND there was an invoice to a different card number than the one I had given them BUT the same invoice and billing address, my home address. Leading me to believe that they have charged the wrong card for the order, and I have not paid anything.

Surely this is impossible as the invoice address must be the same as the credit card paid with, and Thomann have royally f'ed up my order! Does this mean I get it free?

I have no idea, any one else have any experience with this stupid company.

I know that was long and drawn out, but I hope you caught my drift.

[EDIT]
This seems quite convoluted to read so in layman's terms:

I gave thomann my account details.
They processed my order with my card details.
The order was shipped to my address.
However the invoice reads a different card than the one I paid with and no money has been debited from my account even though the website says there has.
???
Profit
Last edited by Jonny Yuma at Jun 29, 2009,
Profit, yeh. But do some research cause that can get you into a lot of trouble.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
I know, I'm not going to be an idiot and spend the money that hasn't been debited.

I am going to wait on it, it is not my fault at all and completely that of the company's.

Just a really weird occurence, who knows? Maybe they are planning on debiting the amount soon?

Either way I expect they will be in contact soon, quite the ridiculous error to make.
There is no way they charged a different card. The info wouldn't match up and the bank would catch it. As long as you didn't provide the other card number, then you are not liable. Keep a copy of the original invoice with your card number on it, in case Johnny Law gets involved. Other than that, just cross your fingers that they don't notice the issue, you've got nothing to lose.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well I know for a fact I provided my own card number, and if I got one or two digits wrong, that would mean nothing as there is still the security details on the back and not to mention expiry date.

The problem is a different card to mine appears to have been charged on the invoice...one that is one digit different to mine! (ie 5 instead of a 3) Surely the order would be impossible to process and they would simply call me and say 'hey you entered the wrong details'.

Also in response to the above post, there is no invoice with MY card number on it, this is the problem =/

Therefore I am almost 100% sure I am not liable, I have not lied etc. I suppose the only dishonest thing I am doing is not telling them, because hey, if you find money in the street and no one notices, you keep it right?

Surely the banks would notice this, or at least thomann!
Yo Jonny, can you buy me a Orange AD30 and PPC4x12 and see what happens? xoxox
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Make absolutely certain that you don't spend the money you set aside for this purchase.

I heard of a simmilar thing happening to one of my friends and the company ended up eventually charging him 3 months later which ended up ****ing him with a whole bunch of overdraft fees.
I'd call them and ask them if they've made an error in debiting, but I'm an honest person ;]

Is it just the long number on the front of the card that is wrong? Name, address, etc is correct?
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
So you order something expensive of Thomann, and they charge someone elses card?

*goes to buy a 65amp soho*
Just the keep the money in the bank, and let it earn the interest. So long as you have the original invoice with the correct card numbers, its not your fault the company f'ed up. The onus falls upon the company charging the invoice to get the details correct.

Chances are, there's a backlog in the clearing system somewhere, and one day you'll find that your balance has dropped accordingly. I wouldn't be too worried unless you keyed in the wrong info or try to withdraw all your cash.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thomann takes a while sometimes. I had to send a money transfer one time because they never took Electron and it was a while before they got the money. Just watch out!
All you have to do is tell me your card number, security number, your address and your mothers maiden name. Then all will be sorted out!

Nah just kidding.

They will take the money from you ...in the end. So remember to keep that money in the bank. If you haven't charged or contacted you with in a year (I think), you have the right to keep the item without paying.

Have you got the item?
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
even if thomann did royally f this one up, the bank would notice.

keep your invoice incase the pigs get involved though..

have fun with the cab when it arrives.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

i would tell them. for all the money you stand to gain, is it really worth taking the chance? I also wouldn't be taking legal advice from teenagers on UG, who are quite possibly in a different country, in which case they aren't even familiar with the UK's laws.

Up to you, of course. But tell them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^yep, tell the bank. Somehow, it'll come back to bite you in the ass if you don't, and you'll eventually have to pay for it. They always notice, even if it takes them few months to get it all sorted
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys, yeah I'l leave it until it actually gets delivered, then I'l just call and check with them.

I would assume its a clearing issue if it weren't for the wrong card number, however I'll just wait

(as a response to above posters: I was not planning on spending that money at all, as murphy's law would have it, as soon as I spend it i'll get a call from them)
The way a bank works with Balance/Avail is this... When you made the order, thomann queried your bank to see if your account could cover it. They put a temporary hold on that amount of money in your account, and then process the order. They have 3-4 days depending on the bank to complete the transaction, or else the hold expires. This does not mean you won't be charged! It may take them a week or two to complete the transaction, and when they do it won't be a hold, it will be a charge.

Give it time,. they will hit you up for the cash.
^ oh ok, that might be it. anything i've ever ordered online has been with a credit card, so...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah, same. When all your dealing with is hypothetical money it doesn't matter too much I guess.

My mum works for a bank and what Experiment says is exactly right.