If I only play plugged into an Amp for around 30-60 minutes a week will this cause any damage? I'll be playing like this for a few months.

Is there a chance that the electronics stop working while I play un-plugged?

Edit: Sorry guys, I meant the Pick ups and Pots and the amp jack on the guitar.
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
"You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!"
Last edited by LemonBurst at Jun 29, 2009,
No. Why do you think Marshalls from the 60s that have sat in dude's attics for 40 years now can be plugged in and sound godly?
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by cgolden
No. Why do you think Marshalls from the 60s that have sat in dude's attics for 40 years now can be plugged in and sound godly?

Yup, but I would put a cover on it.
Quote by cgolden

Yeah, but those amps have to be slowly powered up before they can be played. Without that, they have a ridiculously large chance of having the electronics damaged.

TS, you should be fine with your amp. Just get a cover for it.
Thanks guy, I meant electronics on the guitar
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Yeah, but those amps have to be slowly powered up before they can be played. Without that, they have a ridiculously large chance of having the electronics damaged.

TS, you should be fine with your amp. Just get a cover for it.

What the heck does TS stand for? I see it all around the forums and still don't know.

As for the guy above me, he might of had a fear of dust affecting it, which is pretty ridiculous but still can't blame him for trying to be sure.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
What the heck does TS stand for? I see it all around the forums and still don't know.

As for the guy above me, he might of had a fear of dust affecting it, which is pretty ridiculous but still can't blame him for trying to be sure.

threadstarter
Quote by Alex Vik
Yeah...why would something happen?

I have no idea? Maybe some freak accident, or from age?

I'm just trying to be 100% sure.

@ ZeroCS: TS mean's Thread Starter
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
^Thank you.

I agree with the case setting btw. If you really want to protect your amp that's your best bet.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by LemonBurst
I have no idea? Maybe some freak accident, or from age?

I'm just trying to be 100% sure.

@ ZeroCS: TS mean's Thread Starter

An Act of God
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']An Act of God

Rofl, I think you an Mamosa are the Jokers of UG
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by cgolden

Well that's not entirely true.
IIRC, some components will not be the same. I'm not sure which ones, but the caps come to mind, where you have to keep them running to realign them, or something.

I don't know, can someone back me up with a clear explanation.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
don`t leave it plugged into the mains just in case you get a power spike, otherwise unless you`ve got a infestation and something crawls in there and starts chewing on stuff your amp will be fine. (happend to my TV along time ago-spider built a nest in there, the next week 1000s of baby spiders, couple of days later 1000s of fried baby spiders and one fubar-ed tv)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
don`t leave it plugged into the mains just in case you get a power spike, otherwise unless you`ve got a infestation and something crawls in there and starts chewing on stuff your amp will be fine. (happend to my TV along time ago-spider built a nest in there, the next week 1000s of baby spiders, couple of days later 1000s of fried baby spiders and one fubar-ed tv)

Wait, you're talking about Amps right?

I was asking about the guitar, sorry :P
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by ZeroCS

Thread starter. Next time check on http://www.urbandictionary.com/ very useful site
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by LemonBurst
Wait, you're talking about Amps right?

I was asking about the guitar, sorry :P

no it won`t effect the guitar (i do most of my 45 minute warmup unplugged everyday), just don`t leave your guitar near high magnetic fields like speakers, tv`s, computers, etc over a long period of time the magnets in your pups will lose field strenghth. even short periods accumulate into long periods.

(don`t let creepy crawlies crawl into your guitar either lol )
Quote by LemonBurst
Rofl, I think you an Mamosa are the Jokers of UG

That´s not true, they´re the idiots of UG.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
no it won`t effect the guitar (i do most of my 45 minute warmup unplugged everyday), just don`t leave your guitar near high magnetic fields like speakers, tv`s, computers, etc over a long period of time the magnets in your pups will lose field strenghth. even short periods accumulate into long periods.

(don`t let creepy crawlies crawl into your guitar either lol )

I wouldn't even think it's possible for Creepy Crawlies to get into an Electric guitar.

I usually leave my guitars in a Case under a bed, the computer is On a desk next to the bed.....

I don't think it's close enough to do harm ,correct?
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
btw get a headphone amp like the vox ones they are really cheap, or if you have a pedal board fx processor you can go straight into that and out via headphones without the need of a amp `cos you`ll use the preamp circuit in the pedal board and h/phones as speakers. i`ve never heard you play but playing "amped" will improve your skills and ear.

use close cupped headphones not the ipod/walkman type.

and when you get that bit of inspiration at 2am you can play without waking everyone up.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
btw get a headphone amp like the vox ones they are really cheap, or if you have a pedal board fx processor you can go straight into that and out via headphones without the need of a amp `cos you`ll use the preamp circuit in the pedal board and h/phones as speakers. i`ve never heard you play but playing "amped" will improve your skills and ear.

use close cupped headphones not the ipod/walkman type.

and when you get that bit of inspiration at 2am you can play without waking everyone up.

Oh, I heard you can play off of your computer also.
My teacher does that now, so he can play to MP3's.

Do you know how to do that?
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
why would it cause damage to the guitar? There are only a couple of things that might happen to the guitar, and that's mainly rust on pups and bridge if you don't clean them properly after playing (like I did with my guitar, and now the area around the magnets of the pups starts getting red-brownish), but as you will be playing it unplugged that shouldn't happen... (I guess :s)
Anyway, there's no difference for the electronics if you are playing unplugged or not, the guitar still sends out a signal if you are playing unplugged, it's just not amplified... (I could go in the physics of it, with flux and everything, but that's boring)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...