Right, this is the story....

*TL;DR= I need a bass because I can't get a drum kit. Recommend me one. Read on if you're bored or have nothing better to do.*

I'm a drummer in my current band, we're pretty happy with that, or at least we were. At the moment, we have 1 drummer, bassist, guitarist with another one coming and a new singer.

For reasons you probably don't really care about, I got kicked out of home about 3 days before ordering my new 11 piece Gretsch kit. I'm rather nomadic at the moment, so I can't take delivery of said kit now because I can't put it anywhere, never mind play it. I'm fortunate enough to play bass too, so I had an idea to ask the bassist to go back on guitar (He was guitar but preferred bass). He offered to learn how to solo just so I can go on bass (obviously, carrying a bass is far easier than a drum kit), which I am very grateful for.

At the moment, I'm on a Squier P-bass but I want to go a bit more upmarket as I've come in to some money. My guitarist at the moment plays an Epi LP/ Squier Strat, my ex bassist now guitarist is looking at Fender Stratocasters and teles. We play pop punk to acoustic really, and a lot in between providing it's guitar based. It also has to come in left handed, so that narrows things down a lot while driving the price up.

The highest I want to really spend is £600/$1000/€700. Also, I hate Ibanez basses, so please don't recommend them :P I'm a big Fender person, I've always owned Squiers or copies of Fenders.

Thanks.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Squier vintage modified? They play pretty nice.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Why did you get kicked out of home?

Why don't you use that money to lay down a lease on a cheap apartment or a storage shed for your Gretsch kit? and then work in like fast food or someplace where jobs are easily attainable to keep up the rent. Its not all that glamorous but it should give you a place to keep/play your drums and even yourself.

But your squire should be fine to be honest. Just buy a new set of strings and have it set-up.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Why did you get kicked out of home?

Why don't you use that money to lay down a lease on a cheap apartment or a storage shed for your Gretsch kit? and then work in like fast food or someplace where jobs are easily attainable to keep up the rent. Its not all that glamorous but it should give you a place to keep/play your drums and even yourself.

But your squire should be fine to be honest. Just buy a new set of strings and have it set-up.

I got kicked out for smashing the crap out of my dads PC because... well let's leave that there.

No such thing as a cheap place to live in the UK, the prices are bordering on theft, and I can't put a shed anywhere. It's actually cheaper to buy the bass than get the kit and somewhere to put it, the kit was in total about 2800USD. Jobs aren't easy to come by either here, it's this credit crunch. I'm living with my guitarist right now.

I wanted a new bass anyway for lower tunings so if anything this was bound to come sooner or later, and I don't see me playing drums for a good few years until I get my own place.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5

I wanted a new bass anyway for lower tunings so if anything this was bound to come sooner or later, and I don't see me playing drums for a good few years until I get my own place.

Just get thicker gauge strings it'll save you loads of cash
why don't you get your priorities straight and take some of that money you have and get yourself a steady place to live????
Quote by druggietoad2k5
I got kicked out for smashing the crap out of my dads PC because... well let's leave that there.

No such thing as a cheap place to live in the UK, the prices are bordering on theft, and I can't put a shed anywhere. It's actually cheaper to buy the bass than get the kit and somewhere to put it, the kit was in total about 2800USD. Jobs aren't easy to come by either here, it's this credit crunch. I'm living with my guitarist right now.

Rock and ****ing roll then.

well, I actually like the squires, I'm a fender man myself, and at my school alot of the bassists there just grab the Squire Affinity P-Bass and through a decent Amp they sound pretty beastly,

play a few different ones, I'll recommend the Classic Vibe or the Vintage Modified. Also check out a few other copies, especially if you can set them up yourself.

And then chuck some heavier strings on for lower tunings, unless you like the loose feeling/sound then, yea just leave the strings be

Good luck buddy, I hope all goes well.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by jtkguitar
why don't you get your priorities straight and take some of that money you have and get yourself a steady place to live????

As he has already stated it's not that easy in UK. House prices even for rent on a 1 bedroom flat is beyond extortionate. He'd have enough money to last maybe a months rent at most and why should he throw all of his money away on a possibly temporary housing problem when he can live with his guitarist and pay a much more wallet friendly board and lodge price to his guitarist.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I've got 13K life insurance money because my mum died and I want to spend a little of it on something I want. I've had a stressful few months (and to be honest, life. I had my mum die when I was 7, I was seriously bullied through school and now I want to just spend some money on something I'm going to keep for years) and I want to treat myself to something and I've got GAS burning away. I don't have to explain myself, I just want some ideas for a new bass, it's hardly a major ask considering the website and forum I'm posting in.

The P-bass neck is too fat for my hands, so that's why I was asking for recommendations.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jun 29, 2009,
try a few out dude. play some that take your fancy, check second hand stores, shop around when you can.

Its hard to find left hander's, so I'm gonna sugest that you try out every left hander you see, then try it again in a few days after you've played another couple (hopefully) then if your still diggin on it, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.

Also, I wish you all the best man. Good luck!

EDIT: just saw the neck issue

Fender/Squire Jazz is your friend.

If you can find a lefty Jaguar, hit that up instantly, I love mine to pieces.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Last edited by ZaccB at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by druggietoad2k5
I've got 13K life insurance money because my mum died and I want to spend a little of it on something I want. I've had a stressful few months (and to be honest, life. I had my mum die when I was 7, I was seriously bullied through school and now I want to just spend some money on something I'm going to keep for years) and I want to treat myself to something and I've got GAS burning away. I don't have to explain myself, I just want some ideas for a new bass, it's hardly a major ask considering the website and forum I'm posting in.

The P-bass neck is too fat for my hands, so that's why I was asking for recommendations.

not sure what the exchange rate of 13K is in U.S. dollars but to me having a solid roof over my head would take presidence over any musical instrument, especially since I you get a knock off at a pawn shop, and it doesn't sound like you've hit the big time musically...it's not about what you are playing on when making music...it's about the music...of which if your music is good you should be able to make it on any instrument...
>,> I'll ask this thread to be closed.

I seem to have stumbled upon UG.com/parents...

Edit: 13K GBP = 22K USD.
Posted from Ubuntu.

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jun 29, 2009,