I seem to have much trouble doing stuff in the higher frets like 21-24 is it normal that i can't fit four of my fingers on 21 22 23 and 24 at the same time? they seem kinda squished ;( is there any way of fixing it or practice more?
Well, of course. The frets are obviously smaller higher on the neck than around the headstock. Most people don't even bother with their pinky past the 12th fret, except for some sweep arpeggios. There's really nothing to "fix," just maybe use more efficent fingering movements.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Thanks man ;D! Now I don't have to worry that my pinky doesn't get much action up there! man.. but Paul Gilbert seems to use his mighty long pinky a lot ;( my pinky is kinda small compared to his but I do have big hands. Do you find any problems with a shorter pinky?
Well, I have really big hands too, so I can't really give a personal description. But really all that I use my pinky for in soloing and higher fret work is on like 4 or 5 or 6 string sweeps where I'm playing something like
[tab]
E| 14h20
B| 15
G| 14
D| 16
A|17
[/tab]
I'd use my pinky (occasionally) for the 17 fret on A and almost always for the 20th fret on E. The sweep goes low to high.
Other than those kind of things, I rarely use me pinky.

Edit: Well, damn, that didn't work. You get the gist though?
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Last edited by cgolden at Jun 29, 2009,
Nectrotic, use your pinky. Seriously. The more fingers you use, the more notes you can play. Plus, each finger has a slightly different sound, so I personally say that you should include the pinky as much as you can.
heh yeah! but like what if you were doing 3 string sweeps and it does involve the area of 24th fret? and you have to do it fast too?
Quote by NecroticSoldier
Thanks man ;D! Now I don't have to worry that my pinky doesn't get much action up there! man.. but Paul Gilbert seems to use his mighty long pinky a lot ;( my pinky is kinda small compared to his but I do have big hands. Do you find any problems with a shorter pinky?

Paul Gilbert's pinky is kinda HUGE. xD

Yeah just don't worry too much, I don't use my pinky above the 15th fret, and I don't know many people that do.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I also have this problem of playing on the higher frets, especially for pull-off lick around the 20th fret, my fingers seem to collide with each other.
Quote by cgolden
Well, I have really big hands too, so I can't really give a personal description. But really all that I use my pinky for in soloing and higher fret work is on like 4 or 5 or 6 string sweeps where I'm playing something like

E| 14h20
B| 15
G| 14
D| 16
A|17

I'd use my pinky (occasionally) for the 17 fret on A and almost always for the 20th fret on E. The sweep goes low to high.
Other than those kind of things, I rarely use me pinky.

Edit: Well, damn, that didn't work. You get the gist though?

there you go, its code and /code, not tab /tab
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...