Hey UG

I need, preferably free, software to write my music down with. Mostly chords with some little licks here and there. Suggestions anyone ?
Tuxguitar does notation as does guitarpro(Tux is free and open source, pro might set you back a bit). I used sibelius for two years for my GCSE music course. I found it pretty easy to work with.
I've used Finale Notepad for some time (there's a free version) I'd recommend it if you sipmly want to write down something, for it's to unhandy for goofing around or composing I'm going to try Sibelius during the vacation
Quote by allislost
then i take back what i said and i award you with 10 points! use them wisely...

Enchance your Soling

Quote by funkyducky

desadaphas get's a nod from me
for he knows that tea pwns coffee

My first lyric in Englich
Last edited by desadaphas at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Power Tab is free too

It is, but power tab only reads ptb format.
TuxGuitar can read power tab, guitar pro, tuxguitar and tabledit files and also has some cool plugins
Quote by allislost
then i take back what i said and i award you with 10 points! use them wisely...

Enchance your Soling

Quote by funkyducky

desadaphas get's a nod from me
for he knows that tea pwns coffee

My first lyric in Englich
Quote by desadaphas
It is, but power tab only reads ptb format.
TuxGuitar can read power tab, guitar pro, tuxguitar and tabledit files and also has some cool plugins
True - but personally I still prefer power tab to tux guitar. I always seem to end up inadvertently deleting stuff on tux guitar lol
Guitar Pro is the best. If you know where to look, it's free as well.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by desadaphas
I've used Finale Notepad for some time (there's a free version) I'd recommend it if you sipmly want to write down something, for it's to unhandy for goofing around or composing I'm going to try Sibelius during the vacation

Finale Notepad is actually no longer free, because the good people at MakeMusic charge about twice as much as what anything is worth. Those jerks.

I'd advise against using Finale or Sibelius unless you plan on writing for big ensembles with eclectic instrumentation. Just use some of the free stuff, because you don't need to burn 600 dollars on stuff you're not even gonna use.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Quote by itchy guitar
Guitar Pro is the best. If you know where to look, it's free as well.

well, it's not free, but you can get it for free through… other means.