As title said, the bugger wouldn't come out, I squeezed too hard, and now I have a broken tube stuck in the socket. How do I get it out? Taking it to tech is not an option (I live in the boonies)
just wiggle it out, wear some gloves to stop you maming your hand on the broken glass.

buy a new preamp tube of the SAME TYPE and pop it in

job's a good'n.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

If that doesn't work (this is going to sound weird), cut a potato in half and jam the cut edge on it and wiggle. That's how you unscrew broken lightbulbs, might not work here because you can't rotate it though.

Can you clamp on of the internal structure of the tube w/ pliers? Try that...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
There are lethal voltages inside a tube amp which can KILL YOU even when the amp is unplugged. Unless you really know what you're doing, take it to someone.
Quote by BobDetroit
There are lethal voltages inside a tube amp which can KILL YOU even when the amp is unplugged. Unless you really know what you're doing, take it to someone.

True, but if he crushed it that hard everything in the tube shorted and shoul've (should have being key) drained the power supply, of there were voltages present.

EDIT: use pliers with good insulation on the grips.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Last edited by DLrocket89 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by DLrocket89
True, but if he crushed it that hard everything in the tube shorted and shoul've (should have being key) drained the power supply, of there were voltages present.

EDIT: use pliers with good insulation on the grips.

Maybe. You willing to gamble?
Quote by Silver-spear94
just wiggle it out, wear some gloves to stop you maming your hand on the broken glass.

buy a new preamp tube of the SAME TYPE and pop it in

job's a good'n.

Alright, I got a towell, things were looking good, but then when I wiggled only a part of the tube came out. So now I'm left with the very bottom of the tube (where I can hardly see it, let alone reach it) and a bit of broken glass.
Quote by BobDetroit

I had to say that.

Now do this. Take a flat blade screwdriver. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS. wrap the screwdriver in electrical tape all except the very tip. Put a lot on. like ten wraps on the whole thing. Take the amp somewhere that isn't cement or tile floor. PUT ONE OF YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKET AND LEAVE IT THERE. Gently pry what's left of the tube out with the screwdriver. if you can't get it out like that, take it to a tech.
Quote by BobDetroit

It's a Valveking 112, the capacitors are self draining, at least I don't have THAT to worry about
Its very simple to avoid getting seriously hurt with high voltages. As long as the charge doesn't go across your chest you'll simply get a bite, and if the charge is only allowed to enter say, your hand, before going back into the circuit the worst that will happen is a first degree burn.

That being said, just be careful and you'll be aight.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Darksucker
It's a Valveking 112, the capacitors are self draining, at least I don't have THAT to worry about

supposedly, don't believe it. ever
Quote by Darksucker

Tubes aren't supposed to break either. Just don't want you gettin' killed bro.
Alright, so I found an insulated screwdriver, stuck my hand in my pocket, and tried to pry it out with the screwdriver. I think I've managed to break all the glass out, but the bottom of the tube is still stuck as firmly as it was when it was whole. I'm looking to see where the nearest authorized tech is, but is there any other way/tool to get this mother****er out?
The tube pin sockets are a V shape and dig into the pins when you try and pull them out. They are designed to make it hard for the pins to come out. My official answer is take it to a tech.
Quote by BobDetroit
The tube pin sockets are a V shape and dig into the pins when you try and pull them out. They are designed to make it hard for the pins to come out. My official answer is take it to a tech.

Any unofficial suggestions?

I mean, I'm going to be paying for repair anyway, might as well take a gamble...
Quote by Darksucker
Any unofficial suggestions?

I mean, I'm going to be paying for repair anyway, might as well take a gamble...

I would not gamble with lethal voltages. If an amp tech is too far away, any electronics repair shop that is familiar with high voltage devices can handle this.
Quote by BobDetroit
I would not gamble with lethal voltages. If an amp tech is too far away, any electronics repair shop that is familiar with high voltage devices can handle this.

Alright, I'll call Radioshack, as they're the only place within 50 miles.

Seriously, BobDetroit and you other guys, thanks for being so helpful and watching out for my n00bish ass.
Quote by BobDetroit

just touching the tube isnt going to kill you... have you ever worked inside an amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
just touching the tube isnt going to kill you... have you ever worked inside an amp?

I've built amps. I work with 13.2Kv at work
Quote by BobDetroit
I've built amps. I work with 13.2Kv at work

Which is why you told TS that changing tubes can kill him (even though the VK is self-draining).

Stop dicking around, put on gloves, use insulation, use one hand, keep it unplugged and just get it out already.

Jeez.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Pull the chassis out from the headbox and push it from the other side (Not with your fingers). If you arent comfortable with doing that then you need to take it somewhere.
Quote by Mitchell?
Which is why you told TS that changing tubes can kill him (even though the VK is self-draining).

The TS has a broken tube in his amp. Those little wires sticking out of what's left of the tube are connected to transformers and capacitors that have the potential to shock you with several hundred volts, even when the amp is unplugged. Far as the self draining bit, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Quote by BobDetroit
The TS has a broken tube in his amp. Those little wires sticking out of what's left of the tube are connected to transformers and capacitors that have the potential to shock you with several hundred volts, even when the amp is unplugged. Far as the self draining bit, I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Holy **** I ****ing fixed it. I got pissed off enough that I just smacked the side of the amp while passing, and I heard something fall. When I looked the disembodied pins were exposed, I yanked 'em, and I just spent the last 20ish minutes playing a 20 times better sounding amp. There are some screws and a metal tube-shield left over from the warping I gave the socket with the screwdriver, but what the hey?

Thanks, guys.
Sometimes anger is the appropriate response?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
did you put the new tube in?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.