for some reason, the action on my strat can't be raised any higher and its very low as is. its buzzing alot. its my fender mexican fat strat btw.i took it tho the guitar guy(paul unkert) and it seems like nothing was done to it. i took some pics to show you how its setup....
i think it has to do with the bridge and not the neck cause i had to bend the tremolo bar so it wouldn't hit the body when spinning it on.

in this next pic u can see how he adjusted the it so that the saddle is just barely resting on the screw...

i need help this is my favorite guitar
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
click the green link in my sig. check neck relief.

measure the first and last fret on the Low E.

see if a credit card fits in the middle gap.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Put some kind of spacer under the nut.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
You shouldnt need to have the saddles jacked up so high. If the neck relief is good then you need to adjust the neck angle. Some strats have an adjuster screw in the heel, many dont. You need less angle which would allow you to lower the saddles and get your action set right.
yeah i dont know what's up with the dude he brought the guitar to.

i guess we'll find out if the OP posts back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

sorry guys i had to work... but yea paul unkert set it up( the one who made eddie van halens frakenstrat. unless he just rushed it to get it out of there...
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by jj1565

and it fits snug
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by someguy27
sorry guys i had to work... but yea paul unkert set it up( the one who made eddie van halens frakenstrat. unless he just rushed it to get it out of there...

well, you need to measure the relief like said, then we'll go from there.

but you might also need to shim the neck cause that bridge is redic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i had my stepdad measure at the 7th fret while i was holding the 1st and 21st. i dont have a feeler gauge so my answer is a 1/4 inch
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Jesus, way too much relief! No wonder it buzzes, your playing in a valley not a fingerboard!
Moving on.....
no its low maybe my stepdad got the wrong measurement
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by someguy27
no its low maybe my stepdad got the wrong measurement

well if a credit card sort of fits in the middle gap, then it's more like .010" than a 1/4".

either way, you're going to need to shim the neck and or the nut.

if you want to get into it, i guess we can, or you can bring it back and ask about it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 29, 2009,
Fret 1st & 17th fret and measure from the bottom of the string to the crown of the fret(s) arpund the 7-9th fret area! Typically you're looking at 0.004 to 0.012 inches.

Sorry JJ1565 I didn't see your reply in time... If the action is low, yeah probably needs ashim to tilt back the neck (shades of a Les Paul!)
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 29, 2009,
^yeah, we were posting on top of each other there.

if you want to talk him thru a neck shim, i'm fine with that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

what would i use to shim the neck? will i **** up my guitar?... like i said, its my favorite

how involved is it?
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
nevermind i shimmed it with a guitar pick took 5 seconds thanx guys
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
sorry i went to bed. how'd it come out?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

good...but it might need a truss rod adjustment, im not sure
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
lol all i did was loosen the 4 screws on the back, slip a pick halfway in, and tightened it back up...
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
I suppose that works. I just tend to do things more thoroughly than that hahah
Quote by jj1565

A medium pick fits snugly under my strings when I do that, do I have good action?
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
"You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!"
Last edited by LemonBurst at Jun 30, 2009,
If you shim the neck it will move it closer to the strings, lowering your action even further - think about it - you are essentially protruding the neck closer to the strings. If anything, you should be removing a shim if it has one. Also, a credit card is a little too thick to measure relief - use a quality business card (or buy a feeler gage from auto parts store and measure .01 ~ .012").
Last edited by KingStill at Jun 30, 2009,
Not if you shim the neck angle. What he did was put a shim right near the top edge of the heel area, which pushed the neck forward, allowing the bridge to align correctly with the neck angle.

Quote by LemonBurst
A medium pick fits snugly under my strings when I do that, do I have good action?

If you did what was asked, then you are measuring neck relief, and yours is not right if it is that way.
While your quick & dirty fix for a shim may work OK, I'd recommend either a thin strip of wood that goes all the way across the neck pocket (Low E to High E) placed at the very end of the neck to increase the back angle or use a real wood shim. The pick may actually allow your neck to tilt side to side in the pocket because it's not wide enough to offer support across the width of the neck or even worse help create a minor hump.
Moving on.....
^yes, a reverse angle shim. that's what i was talking about.
one done correctly.

also, after that's all said and done, and you're able to adjust the saddles to a more comfy level, and you're still getting buzz, then you might need to adjust the neck.

you can tell if you have good action, if the action feels low and comfortable for you, and you're not getting fret buzz that transmits thru the amp.

so make sure the neck is at a good angle.
adjust the saddles,
check for buzz, and if it's there, then post back if you still have less than a credit cards space at the middle relief.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62