hey people.

okay to set the scene i have close family who live in Oz (I live in Blighty) and its an expensive and long journey to get there so im going for about 6 weeks.

this is about 6 weeks longer than id be willing to go without playing so im looking to get my self some kit to take over with me

im thinking of the line 6 micro spider, small enough to chuck in my rucksack but seems alot better than the smaller 9V marshall and danelectro amps

However i forsee the problem being the guitar. Im pretty sure i cant take a guitar as handluggage so im not sure of my options.

i dont really want to get a flightcase so i was wondering what thoughts were on buying a cheap guitar, like an ibanez grg with a bolt on neck and taking the neck and placing both sections i my rucksack (wrapped up).

would it be as simple as taking of the neck and when i get to Oz just putting the neck back on and stringing it up? or is there some crazy luthier techy things that need to be done?

thanks for taking the time to read this, your input is appreciated

cheers

Nath
It'd be way cheaper/less wasteful to just get a nice case...Even just a semi-decient hardshell should be fine. But I'm sure you could do the whole take apart guitar thing...but it'd be a royal pain in the ass.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Some airlines let you take instruments as your hand baggage allowance.

You should call up your airline and see what they say, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they do allow it, they put it in a wardrobe.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Why don't you just buy the guitar when you get there? Or mail it? You could also get a Vox Amplug for pretty cheap. They're tiny, are meant for headphones, but work amazingly well with a set of speakers or a PA.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Some airlines let you take instruments as your hand baggage allowance.

You should call up your airline and see what they say, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they do allow it, they put it in a wardrobe.

This. I have taken several trips recently and I have been allowed to carry my guitar on board.

Upon arriving at my destination I found a local guitar shop and arranged to rent a practice amp while I was in town. You may be able to do the same.
okay thanks guys. ill check with the travel agents then. the main reason i wanted to avoid the hard case route cause of the extra cost involved.

I might struggle taking it on board though if im on 3 to 4 connecting flights :s

thanks

Nath
I have never had to send my guitars through baggage, but I always prepare incase they do have to.