I am have been making riffs recently and i have used like two diminished patterns and made like 5 riffs, id like to make more, so i guessed the more you know about diminished scales and stuff the more riffs ill get

so im in need of videos, lessons, tabs columns etc.

i thank you all in advance

oh and id like some insight into the theory side (intervals and all that jazz )
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks
I am have been making riffs recently and i have used like two diminished patterns and made like 5 riffs, id like to make more, so i guessed the more you know about diminished scales and stuff the more riffs ill get

so im in need of videos, lessons, tabs columns etc.

i thank you all in advance

oh and id like some insight into the theory side (intervals and all that jazz )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octatonic_scale
shred is gaudy music
wikipedia is teh shiznet but is the octatonic scale the only scale you reccomend? :O
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
There are only 3 diminished scales.

The intervals are W-H-W-H-W-H-W-H

A: A B C D Eb F Gb Ab A
Bb: Bb C Db Eb E F# G A Bb
B: B C# D E F G Ab Bb B

Every other diminished scale is the same as those three. The just start on a different note.
A C Eb Gb can all be used on the A diminished scale
Bb Db E G - Bb Diminished
B D F Ab - B Diminished

Now the other way is a H-W-H-W-H-W-H-W diminished scale. It is the same as the other diminished scale but starts on one of the other four notes in the scale.
B D F Ab - A Diminished
C Eb F# A - Bb Diminished
C# E G Bb - B Diminshed

And Tom, an octatonic scale is a diminished scale. The diminshed scale has 8 different notes, hence octa.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Jun 29, 2009,
The diminished scale is not useful for creating progressions. Using (HWHWHWHW) will yield major, minor, and diminished triads on scale degrees 1, 3, 5, and 7, and only diminished triads on 2, 4, 6, and 8.