How do you practice getting the timing for a song correctly? I know some songs pretty well, but I just can't figure out how long to sustain certain notes, or how much times to pick or strum a chord? I could count how many seconds the note is sustained but my brain is no timer, it cant count exactly one second. So what I'm asking is what is a good way to work on getting the correct timing for certain notes on songs I want to play?
Quote by professorlamp
listen to the drums and the bass and count along if you have to

Thats a good idea for alot of songs. But I've been trying to learn Master of Puppets by Metallica, and the intro is only guitar, so I can't rely on the other instruments :p
You have to learn to count beats instead of seconds. It's hard when an intro is just guitar, but if you're playing along it should only take a couple of bars for it to become apparent. It's just a case of practice, really.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Listen to the song over and over and eventually it'll become like second nature, the timing that is.
The more you study the more you know. The more you know the more you forget......... so why study
Quote by Like a boss
Listen to the song over and over and eventually it'll become like second nature, the timing that is.

I think that's a big part of it. Just listen to it several times and you'll be able to reproduce it a lot more accurately. Also just practice playing along with songs that you're learning.
Quote by Jpboy1994
Thats a good idea for alot of songs. But I've been trying to learn Master of Puppets by Metallica, and the intro is only guitar, so I can't rely on the other instruments :p

play along to the song in the beginning (if you can), then if you can do it like that, stop playing with music and play alone...
also, listen to the song while you're learning it, if you just play the tab, and don't check with the song if it's correct, you're going to end up learning something different...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...