Page 1 of 2
It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the tape. That was not the only naive mistake that I made; I mistook the metal/normal switch on the Walkman for a genre-specific equaliser, but later I discovered that it was in fact used to switch between two different types of cassette.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8117619.stm?lsm

What other old technologies would totally befuddle the ever-present "kids these days"?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

That's hilarious.

I remember the Walkman.

I suppose an old record player with the needle would confuse the hell out of kids.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Dad : Son 30 years ago today I got this walkman and now, now I want you to have it.
Son : Im 12 and what is this?
Quote by dgme92
That's hilarious.

I remember the Walkman.

I suppose an old record player with the needle would confuse the hell out of kids.

Record players FTW. I remember back when I was younger listening to records all day.
Quote by Alex Vik
Record players FTW. I remember back when I was younger listening to records all day.

I'll have turntables as soon as I have the money to waste on them...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by dgme92
That's hilarious.

I remember the Walkman.

Indeed.

Did this kid trade it with someone or something?

Because it says for a week. But it seems like he owns it?
DeVillains!
This seriously disturbs me. It is just weird and so foreign to me that a kids from this generation are completely puzzled by tape players. I grew up with tape players. Today I use digital music players but I still remember quite well how a tape player works.
Quote by Ylasto
Indeed.

Did this kid trade it with someone or something?

Because it says for a week. But it seems like he owns it?

Dunno. I think he just agreed (or his parents agreed, more like) to do it for the magazine story.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
I'll have turntables as soon as I have the money to waste on them...

That sucks, we just had to buy a new one. The old one died.
I'm not that much older than him, but still - I know how to work a Walkman. I think I have mine and a few tapes somewhere around here.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Ho-lee sh*t.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I'm also not too much older than him, I listened to tapes the whole time when I was younger, I have a knock-off walkman around here too somewhere. What a stupid kid.
Above post may or may not be true.
Wat.

I was using a Sony Walkman aged 14 at school, skipping lessons in the Library and listening to various mix tapes and having it asked to be turned down every 5 minutes.

Ain't nuttin' as satisfying as home recordin'.
I still use a walkman.
MP3 player.

But I know how to work the tape one! It's a lie that they only come in "dull grey". The one my parents still have is black.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Alex Vik

I've only found out recently how to work one. My friend who's a DJ sat me down and explained to me what goes on in there. lol
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
'"As I boarded the school bus, where I live in Aberdeenshire, I was greeted with laughter. One boy said: "No-one uses them any more." Another said: "Groovy." Yet another one quipped: "That would be hard to lose."'

He should have clubbed the stupid ****ing oiks with it.
I got a walkman when they first came out. Mine had stereo recording and a little stereo clip on lapel mic, I used it to record my acoustic with. It was a major new invention that was badly needed. The little rubber belts inside would always screw up on mine though.

I still use the mic.

Just remembered this funny story...
I had a Sex pistols tape I made but I labeled it "sex" Then months later I recorded some sex with a girl who was a screamer (I thought it was funny) over part of it, then a few months later my new GF was listening to my walkman with headphones and when I saw her face and realized what tape she was listening to.... she was pissed. LOL, she is long gone now.

Well that thing gave me some good memories.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jun 29, 2009,
I'm 16, and I've used a walkman occasionally, mainly for listening to casettes with music that I don't have on the computer.
Quote by Littleangus44
Dad : Son 30 years ago today I got this walkman and now, now I want you to have it.
Son : Im 12 and what is this?

I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Pfft! Walkmans were easy!
Currently working on recording all of my dad's Vinyl collection onto pc - that stuff's a Lot more fiddly to work...
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I had many Walkman-like devices...

Does anyone else remember Mini-Disc? Had a friend at college who thought it would take over...
"If you can hum it, you can play it!"

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP: LTD M-10
Marshall MD10CD
Its kids like this that put my generation to shame.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Never had a walkman but I used tapes in a tape player. I started listening to music when CDs got big so I mostly used CD players but tapes were used at home.

I like how he makes it seem like it was such a learning experience and he learned a life lesson from it. Bet he doesn't touch another tape for the rest of his life.
the walkman looks retro
I bet i couldn't even fit a dream theater song on it though.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Makes me kind of sad that most of my generation is like this, but at the same time happy I actually know how to use a cassette player. *Hugs the beat-up 1980's car his father refuses to give up that still has a cassette slot in it*
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I'm 19 and this is a genuine shock that this kid didn't know how a tape player worked.
Some of my dad's best music is on tapes which I still listen to occasionally, though my nice Marantz tape deck is in need of new drive belts, just like my Walkman.
I know how to work a record player and have fond memories of listening to my gran's record player; recently, my uncle picked up a pair of Rush singles on vinyl (Closer to the Heart and Spirit of Radio if anyone cares) that I fully intend to listen to.
Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod (or had, until some b@stard stole my backpack with it in) and my car stereo has a CD player and iPod dock. I guess digital has made old tapes and records obsolete, so really, I shouldn't be so surprised.

At some point, the CD will be obsolete too; I've just thought of my future children examining my high-end Technics CD player and saying 'What does this massive box do?'
To which I reply, 'It plays music'
and am greeted with 'Oh, like my <postage-stamp-sized-micro-digital-music-player>?'

Face it - technology becomes obsolete; no-one mainstream cares about obsolete technology, only the latest gear.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by 20cdndollars
Seriously? I'm only 4 years older than him and I had a walkman....

What a dumb kid.

same here... and is it me, or was that one really big 13 year old?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I'm only 2 years older than him and I know fine well how to work a walkman, I used to have one, but it died when I was about 11. I actually heard about 9/11 on it (mine had a radio), I remember telling my mum on the way to school 'some nutjob's flown a plane into a massive skyscraper in america' and she was like 'no way' and I was like 'here listen *passes headphones*'.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Page 1 of 2