I'm not gonna do all the fun "oooh wut is it?!?!1" stuff 'cause I don't have the pics on the computer I'm using, and I'm bored as hell, so I figured I'd post my long overdue NAD for my Traynor YCS50! [insert glorious just-out-of-box picture here]. I got it from musiciansbuy.com for $680 (normally $920 new!) because it was an Open Box item--with Traynor's full "even if you break it" warranty and everything. At this price, I don't know if I could've done any better.

I didn't wanna do a NAD because I wanted to let the speaker break in, play with the different knobs and switches, and crank it before giving it a review. So here goes...

LOOKS:
Alright, this thing isn't te most beautiful amp in the world. Gold+black can be sexy, just not the way they did it. But that's not what matters. What matters is....

SOUND:
At low volumes, even on the 15w setting, it doesn't sound great. The clean sounds good, warm, and round. The drive channel, however, sounds bad. Luckily, once you get out of bedroom volumes, this thing kicks! The cleans are very nice and clear, though not Fendery unfortunately. The Drive channel sounds great at any level of gain, including dimed. It has a fair amount of gain on tap, probably enough to do some metal with the Modern switch engaged. There is a hint of muddiness that can be dialed out with the EQ. Speaking of EQ, I would like to say that the one thing i don't like about this amp is the EQ controls. It might be that I'm still getting used to the way they work, but the TMB controls are not that powerful. The Mids knob is by far the most powerful, whereas the Treble control is normally the most powerful on amps. The mids knob seems like it controls the upper midrange, and the bass controls the lower midrange. Unfortunately, the bass control is also not very powerful and the lower midrange is exactly what I like boosted. I have a good feeling that once I use my new EQ pedal, I'll love this amp even more because it will give me better control of the EQ. Overall, this is a very versatile amp. It does not do fantastic blues tones, but it does do them nonetheless. It's perfect for me, because it does both modern rock and Ac/DC type tones (not quite the same amount of bite though) pretty well.

FEATURES:
In short, this thing has a ton of features. USA/Brit switch changes the voicing of the amp. In the Brit position, there is a bit more gain and earlier breakup on the clean channel and a slightly less bright tone. Doesn't sound like a Marshall really, unfortunately. There's a Master Volume control and Volume and Gain controls on both channels. The amp can run on 6L6/5881's or EL34-type tubes and is switchable from 50w down to 15w, which is nice for getting some breakup at more bearable volumes (albeit still pretty loud!). On the Clean channel, there's a Bright switch that sounds nice but not overly piercing. There's also an "Expander" switch, which makes the guitar sound a little deep, but with a lot of body, like an acoustic. The Drive channel has a Modern switch, which tightens/compresses the gain a bit, and seems to add a touch of gain and balls. The scoop switch is self explanatory, and when the Modern and Scoop switches are engaged, you can get some nice pinch harmonics and what seems to be a nice metal tone (although I am not a metal player or listener, so I wouldn't really know). The Drive channel also has a Boost switch with a knob to control the amount of boost. It sounds like the Boost doesn't actually add much gain onto what is already available with the Drive knob, but does add a bit of fatness. There are also Presence and Resonance knobs and a Voice switch, which bypasses these knobs. I have the Presence rolled off just a bit; anything less than like 2 o'clock gets dull. The Resonance control is nice. Dimed, you get a nice bass boost, but not boomy, and at zero, it makes the bass response very tight. I'm still finding my personal favorite setting here. Comes with a Celestion Vintage 30, which took some time to break in (and is still breaking in now). The amp really sounds a lot better now that the speaker has begun to break in.

PICS:
See post #10!

I will finish this review when I get home later! Hope you enjoyed the review.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jun 29, 2009,
i will say HNAD once the photos arrive, because as you know...... pics or it didn't happen

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I'll say congratulations, but it sounds like it has more drawbacks than selling points As long as YOU like it, that's what matters. Maybe it'll be a bit friendlier overall once you fiddle with it for a while. Good luck!

Oh, yeah....as stated above: pics or it really never happened, & you made it all up to string us along
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
pics or its a raven

i've always wanted to try out a traynor, but no one around here carries them
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
HNAD - Congrats.

I know you are telling the truth because I remember your 'What Amp' thread you had a while back. These are nice amps. I think I've played the very one you are talking about. Nice crunch and above average cleans. I saw it again over the weekend but didn't play it because I was destracted by an Orange box that had a cool name. I think it said Rockerverb.

Can't wait for your pics. I've added this thread to the NAD Collection.

Have fun man!
Quote by TDS
pics or its a raven

i've always wanted to try out a traynor, but no one around here carries them

poor you, Traynor are teh sex!
I was testing a YCS 50 vs the classic 30 when i was amp shopping

I ended up buying the classic 30 because I hated the YCS 50... Probably because I had the volume low.

I hated it though. classic 30 ftw
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Quote by riffhog
I'll say congratulations, but it sounds like it has more drawbacks than selling points As long as YOU like it, that's what matters. Maybe it'll be a bit friendlier overall once you fiddle with it for a while. Good luck!

Oh, yeah....as stated above: pics or it really never happened, & you made it all up to string us along

That's because I'm a very critical/analytical person. Not really something I can control; I get it from my dad. I will probably have pics up tonight.

To the guy who said he liked the C30 more:
When I said the Traynor was bad at low volumes, I mean it's BAD. The drive channel, at least, sounds awful. I've never tried a C30 (Not a single store around me carries this incredibly popular amp!), so I can't tell you how they compare.

And now, what you've all been waiting for...

That's from a cellphone camera and an unsteady hand, and I have no other way of uploading pics, so no complaints!
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jun 29, 2009,
Aaaaand the full rig-shot (minus my acoustic):