I have recently graduated from high school and am thinking about becoming a luthier. I have read that it probably wont pay well, but I don't care. I would really like to learn how to make and repair stringed instruments, both electric and acoustic. So what I'm getting at here is, how would I do this. Would I apprentice? Or take a course somewhere and learn how with a group of people? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Reported. Seriously, use the facking searchbar. We get one of these a week man.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I know a very good luthier in my town (he makes classicla guitars and repairs everything fretted stirng instrument).
He once told me he has visited some kind of special school, but I think it was in Austria or Swizerland. I'll visit him this friday and I could where exactly it was, or if he knows other possibilities.
Quote by allislost
then i take back what i said and i award you with 10 points! use them wisely...

Enchance your Soling

Quote by funkyducky

desadaphas get's a nod from me
for he knows that tea pwns coffee

My first lyric in Englich
I think saying it 'wont pay well' is an understatement, for a long time you wont be able to make enough money from it to even live on.

The route into it I would take is to get a full time job with a good wage and gradually build your skills and workshop untill you are good enough to sell guitars (workshops and materials cost a lot of money, you have to put in a lot more than you get out for quite some time in luthiery)

But before selling you need to actually start making guitars, there are courses you can go on, it would be a good idea if you can find one in your area.

I would also buy books to get you into the building process, the first book to buy is...

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

Another good book to get after you have read that is this one...

Building Electric Guitars by Martin Koch

also www.projectguitar.com has tutorials and a forums full of information.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man