I really want to buy a new electric, and I've been looking at the higher end ones. Les Paul's and Stratocasters, and I was wondering...

Why are the sexy finishes more expensive?

Is it really THAT much more expensive to make it shiny black and chrome hardware as opposed to faded cherry and regular hardware?

Are they just ripping us off, or is this just a front for selling drugs?
its some what the quality of the guitar such as the faded ones are cheeper guitars to begin with
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
they put some more expensive so they can keep more of those in stock.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It might depend on how many of each finish were made. If one color/finish was made in limited supply you might see a price hike. I know that Jackson had some more expensive airbrushed designs in the past that were a
limited supply
Well, people are quite obviously willing to pay for the sexier finishes, so the companies can easily charge more for them.

But with sunburst or a finish like that vs black, the sunburst is more labor and time intensive.

However, selkies is correct in what he said. At least about Gibson's. Their "faded" models are made of a lesser quality than their other models.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Zacher
Economics 101

+1
If people are willing to pay more for expensive finishes why not charge more.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

That's it really. Capitalism in a nutshell.
im not sure why theyre more expensive

but my guitar teacher spent an extra £200 to get an american standard strat in sunburst

Cream - £750
Black - £750
Sunburst - £950

:shrugs:

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
im not sure why theyre more expensive

but my guitar teacher spent an extra £200 to get an american standard strat in sunburst

Cream - £750
Black - £750
Sunburst - £950

:shrugs:

Well the finish is actually physically more complex to do in that case but again, economics 101 comes into play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Skyhiro
I really want to buy a new electric, and I've been looking at the higher end ones. Les Paul's and Stratocasters, and I was wondering...

Why are the sexy finishes more expensive?

Is it really THAT much more expensive to make it shiny black and chrome hardware as opposed to faded cherry and regular hardware?

Are they just ripping us off, or is this just a front for selling drugs?

Or... they realise people will pay more for better looking guitars.

If I am trying to sell you one of 2 guitars, lets say theyre exactly the same model but guitar A is seafoam green with red hardware and Guitar B is black with gold hardware. Which one would you rather buy? thats right. guitar B, so I can sell gitar B for 25 mor bucks because its the obvious choice. Business 101 man.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Vlasco
Because they´re sexy

Holy balls, I was gunna say the same exact thing!!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
the more desirable a finish is the more they can jack up the price, also it costs more to put a "sexy" finish on a guitar, though imo satin black is one of the sexiest finishes, and costs the least to put on
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
A solid color is really easy to do. A burst isnt that much harder to do but it does involve more labor and steps for a finished product. Its just economics more labor or materials more money.
Quote by JELIFISH19
A sunburst also requires better wood since the grain is visible

Normally I would agree, but Fender has started using non-remarkable bordering on ugly wood for some of their sunburst strats.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
the worn finishes are done differently as in most cases its stained wood with a thin to no finish on it. whereas solid finishes need layers of paint plus laquer, its simple really.

as you go up the scale they are mixed with different Caps eg flame or plain. and with gibson and fender finishes they are done incredibly well
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
The short version of price: a thing is worth what a person thinks it's worth. A medieval smith might have laid out quite a sum for a bar of modern 1050 steel. There was no equivalent to the kind of homogeneous steel we produce today. A caveman would have valued a lump of modern steel not at all. He couldn't do anything with it. Today, it's inbetween those two extremes. None of these people would be wrong. If God has a ledger with the worth of everything on it in US Dollars, He ain't sharing.

There are more indepth reasons why there could even be a justifiable price difference if the cost were exactly the same but that's an economics course.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
It's partly because of supply and demand like people said, but it's also partly the same reason fancy paint jobs are more expensive on cars. The paints and especially the labor are more expensive. Candy apple red for example takes something like 12 coats in several different shades and transparencies. Flat black takes one.