I got a Univox Echo Chamber tape echo, but it has a 2 prong power cord. Are these safe to use, since most modern electronics and such have 3 prongs? I don't really feel like getting shocked or anything. kthx.
It's safe. My Sunn has a two prong power chord. If you want, you can take it to a tech to replace it with a three prong

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
its safe. the third prong is just a ground wire which is a safety feature. any two prong plug will work in a 3 prong socket.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
the third prong is really only for grounding electronics to reduce noise and some other types of interference with their operation. not really a safety issue
Quote by Bright Light
the third prong is really only for grounding electronics to reduce noise and some other types of interference with their operation. not really a safety issue

Actually, it is a safety issue. It prevents electric shock, however rare that situation actually is.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Actually, it is a safety issue. It prevents electric shock, however rare that situation actually is.

Most of the time with old amps the shock comes from plugging it in backwards (neutral to hot, hot to neutral) so that if it goes to ground fault, instead of going through the neutral (like it should) it goes through the hot side, which funnels it back through the amp, guitar strings, and you.

I had the Silvertone's plug in backwards one time and got a nice jolt when I tried to adjust the mic stand at practice.

Installing a 3-prong is easy. You don't even need to really re-wire it. Just go to an electrical supply store, buy a male plug end, cut the old plug end off, strip the cord, keep the black to the gold screws, the white to the silver screws, leave the ground un-terminated.

Bingo - the ground pin keeps you from ever plugging it in backwards and the amp will ground out through the neutral during a short. Job done.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
*explanation of 3rd prong*

Thanks for the explanation. I've never gotten it 100% before this. I just knew that if it was grounded it was much safer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Thanks for the explanation. I've never gotten it 100% before this. I just knew that if it was grounded it was much safer.

On a proper 3-prong installation, the only difference is that a short grounded to the chassis will use the third, dedicated conductor for that purpose.

All the old 2-prong appliances just grounded dead-shorts through the neutral. A proper bonded ground is far safer, but if the device doesn't have one you're not going to kill yourself from the shock it provides unless you're soaking wet or something.

Edit: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question110.htm has a great article for those who wish to edjimacate themselves.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 29, 2009,