The current guitar I have at the moment is a Squire Strat bought when I started learning.

Now I've gotten better, I realise that the Squire isn't really cutting it sound wise.

I'm looking for a guitar that will cost £400 max ($661).

It's mostly going to be home practising through a Vox VT15 however I'd like it to be gig able. I listen and play to mostly Pop Punk-Alternative Rock -Rock.

I was wondering what you recommended. . I've already looked into an Epiphone G400, PRS SE Custom, Fender HSS. Hopefully I'm going to go down the shop and try some guitars out soon.
Well, if you're into Epiphone, maybe you should consider an ES model. They sound great and look awesome. But the SG is also good. The G-400 is cool and sounds nice. Or you could buy a strat, but forget the HSS. Go for the SSS.
i got an epi les paul standard plus top for that price, it plays and sounds great!!!!
and in terms of gigability, its the same guitar as the guitarist from less than jake uses live, nuff said really!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
I have an Ibanez Rg350dx and think that it is one of the best guitars around its about £300 and has such a great sound both on clean and ovedrive i think it is definatly worth considering
The rg 350 dx is REALLY good. I have one, and my only complaint is... that I'm not smart enough to deal with a floyd rose style bridge.
i'd recommend the G-400 custom, great guitar had mine years and i still love it. Other than that Tokai do a good SG in this price range and i have heard good things about Agile SG's, they are called Valkyrie's or something i think.

Schetcher Tempest's are good as well, i have one and it can play pretty much anything do to the coil-tap.
Last edited by Road Eyes at Jun 29, 2009,
I say Fender Strat, just because I have one. Ive had no problems that werent minor yet, and I love my strat. A friend of mine got Tremonti PRS, and its pretty nice, dont know the price though, should be in range.
Quote by Wylde22
I have an Ibanez Rg350dx and think that it is one of the best guitars around its about £300 and has such a great sound both on clean and ovedrive i think it is definatly worth considering

this
I found the G400 completely unplayable. Not because it was just a 'bad one' but because its weight distribution is crazy. Other Epi's I tried were hugely disappointing so why not consider a Vintage V100 Les Paul. You could get the Icon Lemon Drop model and still have plenty of change if you like that sort of thing. I know a couple of experienced, gigging owners of them who are mightily impressed. £400 will just get you a Burny LP which is another step up in class. Or a Cort KX5 with or without a FR would suit your styles nicely and also give change.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I read about the G400 weight distribution, to be honest it would probably drive me up the wall having to keep hold of the neck.

The Ibanez looks quite nice, I had a quick strum on my guitar teachers Ibanez and liked the shape and how I felt playing it. I discarded Ibanez as just being hard rock/metal but I'll look out for that.

I've heard PRS SEs have tuning problems, has any SE users had this?

I think I'm leaning more towards the PRS/Ibanez/Fender now. I'm reluctant about the Les Pauls as they are pretty chunky compared to what I'm playing, but I'll try it out anyway.
i would go for the ibanez Rg350dx. i played it and its a great guitar and the best for that price range
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by Cuomo_09
I read about the G400 weight distribution, to be honest it would probably drive me up the wall having to keep hold of the neck.

The Ibanez looks quite nice, I had a quick strum on my guitar teachers Ibanez and liked the shape and how I felt playing it. I discarded Ibanez as just being hard rock/metal but I'll look out for that.

I've heard PRS SEs have tuning problems, has any SE users had this?

I think I'm leaning more towards the PRS/Ibanez/Fender now. I'm reluctant about the Les Pauls as they are pretty chunky compared to what I'm playing, but I'll try it out anyway.

The SE tuners aren't PRS's normal locking tuners. They vary, like the Tremonti dosen't have problems nor the Custom, but some others might, thats about it. Tuners CAN be replaced remember...
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro