ok i think im in the right place now. i have many songs written and i have quite a few finished with vocals and lyrics and everything. i have been in a band for a long time. im usually in charge of writting the music and its no problem. however if left just to me the song ends up being an instrumental because im not a singer so i have a hard time writting what a singer would do. are there any tips to writting those parts? i can handle the lyrics but i cant write the rhythm that a singer would do and most people i ask are confused as if you just sing and there isnt a set pattern to it but i know there is. are there any shortcuts or techniques that usually work or is it just diffrent for each song?
Improvise with a guitar in the given key. Don't do any crazy leaps and stay within the vocalist's range.
I loop the all the rhythm tracks and try and create the melody of the vocals as I sing to it.
Quote by blackibanezrg27
so just write like a very simple and repetative solo and put words to it?
Basically. It's best if you know who your singer is and know what their range is so you can write with them in mind.
im not looking to do any king diamond lol it'll be simple stuff im sure. i only want vocals cuz regular people wont listen to an instrumental cuz they dont play an instrument so need sumthin catchy to hum in their head ya know
Quote by blackibanezrg27
im not looking to do any king diamond lol it'll be simple stuff im sure. i only want vocals cuz regular people wont listen to an instrumental cuz they dont play an instrument so need sumthin catchy to hum in their head ya know
Hey you would be surprised. A lot of people go out and buy film sound tracks that are instrumental, or listen to classical or jazz that has only instruments. You just have to rethink your target audience. Just because you aren't selling music to hip young 20 year olds doesn't mean that no one will buy it. Anyways like someone said don't do any crazy leaps. I think I remember reading some where that you should try and keep it to no more than a full step. I'm not positive about that so don't quote me on it.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
^I think a basic 'rule' of voice leading (which doesn't necessarily mean vocal melodies) is to not have jumps bigger than a third. But plenty of vocal melodies don't obey this 'rule'
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i think i got enough to start working on some stuff now so thanks for everything so far, but dont read this n think the discusions over, any other ideas are still more than welcome.

another question, is it easier to just write a vocal line first? ive heard of people saying things like "oh you can tell they wrote the music first on this song" and stuff like that but for the most part i cant tell that kind of thing.
Last edited by blackibanezrg27 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Ænimus Prime
^I think a basic 'rule' of voice leading (which doesn't necessarily mean vocal melodies) is to not have jumps bigger than a third. But plenty of vocal melodies don't obey this 'rule'

Leaping's ok as long as it's resolved by step.
I'm pretty sure there's a lesson or two on this, I know I wrote one, you should check it out, it might tell you what you need to know.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/songwriting__lyrics/using_melody.html
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
something bigger than a full step is not considered a "crazy leap." a wide leap is usually something bigger than a fifth. they "should" be followed by a movement in the opposite direction. though, there are, obviously, songs where this rule is broken, ex: warmth of the sun by the beach boys. TS, you should check out some counterpoint books for beginners.