I'm looking for a dedicated axe for shredding and heavier riffs.

Here's what I currently have in mind:
Floyd rose
Active pickups (EMGs seem to be a popular choice)
24 frets
Low action
Convenient to play while sitting (so no flying Vs please)
Coil tap would be great, but not a necessity

I play through a Tech21 PowerEngine amp (which is more of a cab, really).

My budget is around 1000$. It's not a hard limit, I could go up or down, depending on the price-to-quality ratio.

I will be buying online (thomann.de, most likely), as local shops carry mostly cheap and way overpriced gear. That means I will be basing my decision solely on your advice and information I can find online, so please try to provide a bit more information than a manufacturer and a model number.

Schecter Diamond C-1 Hellraiser seems to have all I need, but from what I can gather online, people have very mixed opinions about it.
Jackson WRMG Warrior also looks pretty good.
I have also heard that Ibanez RGs sound great with distortion and are very pleasant to shred on. Any specific models?
Last edited by Pov at Jun 29, 2009,
play them both, then decide for yourself
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
play them both, then decide for yourself

I will be buying online (thomann.de, most likely), as local shops carry mostly cheap and way overpriced gear. That means I will be basing my decision solely on your advice and information I can find online.

^ that
with the hellraiser if you think wizard II necks are just alittle too small then it should fit you fine
Ibanez.
Ibanez's and Jacksons are the stereotypical guitar for shred players becuase of the low action and slim fast neck. However as far as i know the only ibanez's that have a are upper end that carry EMG's are one of the j custom models. The Jackson soloist and Ibanez RG's (5xx and up or the 15xx and up)(made in japan ones) are great other choices

EMG's for shred is a personal choice. IMO i dont like using them for shred compared to a nice active pup(neck position anyways) due to clarity in leads and runs. Thats just my two cents
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Pov
^ that

go to a shop that carries them then play them then buy them online.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
The RG1570 will likely be recommended. Stock pickups aren't great, but I really recommend against active pickups if you don't have a good amp. A pickup change could well be within your price range also.

If you're going to buy a guitar with a floating double-locking system, try to avoid licensed Floyd Roses, excepting the Ibanez Edge Pro, the Ibanez ZR and the Ibanez Edge Zero.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
The RG1570 will likely be recommended. Stock pickups aren't great, but I really recommend against active pickups if you don't have a good amp. A pickup change could well be within your price range also.

If you're going to buy a guitar with a floating double-locking system, try to avoid licensed Floyd Roses, excepting the Ibanez Edge Pro, the Ibanez ZR and the Ibanez Edge Zero.

^put it much better than i could as far as ibanez's go.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
The Jackson soloist

Thoman is only carrying "JACKSON SOLOIST USA CUSTOM", which is out of my price range.

EMG's for shred is a personal choice. IMO i dont like using them for shred compared to a nice active pup(neck position anyways) due to clarity in leads and runs. Thats just my two cents

I currently own an axe with humbuckers and would like to have as much versatility with my guitar collection as possible. I imagine active pickups don't kill THAT much tone? And I love the idea of pickups emitting as little noise as possible.

go to a shop that carries them then play them then buy them online.

Might aswell be a 2 day trip until I find a place that carries them. Not an option.

If you're going to buy a guitar with a floating double-locking system, try to avoid licensed Floyd Roses

Why is that?
Last edited by Pov at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by Pov
Why is that?

While there are several good licensed Floyd Roses, many are of inferior quality. Often, a licensed Floyd Rose will be made of soft metal, which will deform over time, making it impossible for the guitar to return to pitch correctly. The metal often deforms at the knife edges (the all-important pivot point), the tremolo posts and the treads of the regularly used screws.

If in doubt, don't buy a licensed Floyd Rose. There are several good ones, such as the Ibanex tremolos I have listed. In your price range, you should be insisting on a high quality tremolo.
Quote by Prophet of Page

I see, thank you for the explanation.
Anybody out there with a Schecter Diamond C-1 Hellraiser or Jackson WRMG Warrior can comment on their tremolos?
The Hellraiser is an OFR, I can verify that it's a high quality tremolo. As for the Jackson, somebody else will have to comment.

Again, consider an RG1570 with a pickup change.
I wanted the same exact thing...

Dude Carvin guitars is your best bet in terms of quailty. They don't have EMGs buy you buy them and put them in after... You don't need them but if you're dead set on them you're missing out on guitar that give Gibson a run for their money for a fraction of the price.

They use REAL original Floyd Rose, have sick low action (important for me). You can choose the woods, colors, what the frets are made of, inlays, and fretboard wood types and other choices.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshopelectricguitars.php

I got a DC127 with rounded edges, beautiful guitar. You pick a model you're interested in (make sure you don't a model with extra stuff you don't want) and once you click it, on the right side if you go down you can custom build what you want and they'll give you the price it shoudl cost, and shipping is 26 bucks.

You have 10 days to try it out and if you don't like it you send it back and you get all your money back. They are neck through made in USA, it's awesome.
In regards to the Trems on the Hellraiser and WRMG, Both are very high quality tremolos. The Hellraiser having an OFR and the WRMG having the Jackson LFR, which is considered the poor man's OFR
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Last edited by Metlhead443 at Jun 29, 2009,
Both of those guitars, in terms of quality and sound are garbage compared to any carvin. Period.
ESP Eclipse 2?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by nan0
Both of those guitars, in terms of quality and sound are garbage compared to any carvin. Period.

I agree. I dont own one but ive played them. There amazing.
RG1570's nice, but i'd say an RG1550. and before you get excited about replacing pickups try them out. they have USA made Dimarzios installed. Ibanez guitars have an awful reputation for bad stock pickups, but none of their prestige models really deserve it.
@Prophet of Page, Metlhead443
Thanks for commenting on tremolos.

Again, consider an RG1570 with a pickup change.

Will do, although hellraiser and wrmg seem to have a better overall package. Why is this Ibanez better?

Dude Carvin guitars is your best bet in terms of quailty.

I have checked carvin's custom shop guitar builder and it seems to provide a tremendous amount of options and a very acceptable price. I shall check if I can get the axe I want from them shipped here.

ESP Eclipse 2

Pricey, no floyd and 22 frets.

RG1550

Thomann doesn't carry them unfortunately and neither does GAK. I would struggle to get one.
Last edited by Pov at Jun 30, 2009,
The Ibanez Prestiges are much higher quality than the Schecter. I can't comment on the Jackson.

I would recommend looking at the RG2550Z. It comes with better pickups and the Edge Zero is amazing.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg2550zgw.htm

Here are some things to keep in mind. Guitars are very subjective. If there's something you like about one, there's no reason to get another one because someone else says it's "better" or "higher quality." Don't believe all the Carvin hype. There's a reason why everyone doesn't play one. If you love Jackson or Ibanez necks, the Carvin won't even compare.

Here's another thing to consider. All of the good Ibanezes around that price are basswood. It's a great wood for shred but not so much really heavy metal. The most popular basswood guitarists are Vai, Gilbert, EVH, Satch, and Petrucci. Their playing styles are perfect for it but it lacks bass. It may be the worst wood I've ever heard for heavy riffs but it's excellent for other things. It doesn't really get that "pissed off" tone and it's very clean and clear at all times.

EMGs aren't really known as a shred pickup because they lack dynamics. I would probably go with the Jackson or an Ibanez because the Schecter may not be great for shred. Mahogany can get muddy but basswood and alder will be very clear which is great for shred. Plus, the Schecter neck isn't really known for being fast.
Thanks for your extremely informative post, jelifish.

I have dug up a store that sells hellraisers and rg1570 for pretty good prices about 3 hours away from where I live. I'll pay it a visit and try those two, along with whatever else they might have in stock that could work for me.

Any other specific suggestions? Here's what they cary: click.

What should I know about tremolos so I don't get a bad one?
Washburn WM526 is one of the best shred guitars IMO. It was given a platinum award for 'Best for Shred' along with other awards.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
go with the Shecter, it has Original Floyd Rose while the Jackson has a Licensed one
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It's the sound of Satan himself ripping through the electronics in the guitar....

It's a pinch harmonic, dude.
Mine!
Shall we do a checklist?
EMG's__________________Y 81/85 so no coil tap
24 frets_________________Y
Good for shredding?_______Y Ebony fretboard with 400mm radius
FR_____________________Y a decent one
Good sound?_____________Y Mahogany body, Maple set neck
Looks cool?______________Y if you are into Goth/Metal styling
Over budget?____________N
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

No guitar in the $1000 range like the Schecter in question will have an OFR thats made in Germany, it is an OFR but the Asian made variety, this topic has been discussed here many times. Although I have heard its a good quality trem, personally if I had a choice I'd rather go for the double locking Japanese made Gotoh Floyd.

If you want a shredder guitar and aren't afraid to buy used then look into 80's Kramer's, Charvel's, Larivee (tough to find), Jackson's and so on. You'd end up getting more for your money.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Go to Ebay and look up the seller Meestursparkle. He sells a lot of Ibanezes including Japan-only models and J Customs.
There's an Ibanez Prestige with an Edge Zero trem and EMGs in it, for about $1100.

Sorry, if that seemed like advertising, but I've been looking for the same thing for a little while, and noticed this guy a little while ago. I'm not connected to the ebay seller at all.

EDIT: Link
It's a model only sold in Japan AFAIK.
Weekend Warrior
Last edited by ML_Guitar09 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by mexican_shred

.....what?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Ibanez RG2550Z?
Ibanez S-Series?
pretty much any Prestige guitar or J-Custom is good.
Jackson Soloist
Ok, I am finally back home. Here's what happened:
I went to the store and straight away asked for hellraiser and RG1570. I also looked around for any other axes I might be interested in, but nothing else in their stock cought my attention.
I sat down with the hellraiser and played on it for maybe 20 minutes. Really liked the looks of it, but didn't love the tone or feel of the guitar. It was OK, but nothing too different or exceptional compared to my SG. Just like jelifish said, it felt like EMGs lacked dynamics.
RG1570, on the other hand, had a plain red finish, dot inlays and apart from RG form factor, was pretty bland-looking axe. However I liked the tone of it much better. And I LOVED the neck. I played on it for maybe 2 hours and almost got thrown out for squatting a 1000$ guitar, but eventualy I paid the man and am now a happy shredder with a shiny new Ibanez at my disposal.