I have a Squier strat. It plays nothing like my more expensive guitars. The obvious answer to this: It's a Squier. Now that that's out of the way, what I mean by improving playability is, while playing the guitar, the strings are hard to push down. You could compare it to an acoustical guitar. My other guitar, is not hard at all. The strings are also further away from the fret board. How would I go about improving this, because I don't want to throw in good humbuckers and still have the neck in that condition.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
lower the action...there are height adjustment screws in the bridge, tighten them.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
get a better neck, and lower the action
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
lower the action...there are height adjustment screws in the bridge, tighten them.

this^^^ also you could try lower gauge strings if you find them too hard to bend.
Quote by yomoma21
this^^^ also you could try lower gauge strings if you find them too hard to bend.

Its not the gauge, I use the same on my other guitar. But I will try this. Thanks everyone.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
what's your other guitar? if it's a Les Paul or something with the same scale length as one then the tension isn't as great as on a strat. changing gauge could help.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Last edited by funguy at Jun 29, 2009,
Lower the string saddles.

Also: it's a Squier, most likely it'll never play very well.
I had the same problem; took it to a pro. $90 later you couldn't tell the difference between my Squier Affinity and my MIA Strat if you played with your eyes closed. He had to shim the neck, adjust the truss rod, lower the sadles, and tighten the claw screws. Both are strung with "10s".

Funny thing is the claw screws are so tight now that they penetrated through the body and the tips are are peeking into the pickup cavity now :-) You can't tell with the pickguard installed though.

Of course, both guitars go out of tune with even a little whammy. That's why I went out and bought 2 more guitars with Floyd Rose trems (one for standard and the other for drop-d).

If you don't really know what you're doing, hire a pro; I had several friends (including a guy who's been gigging for decades) try to adjust the truss and the action, but they all only made it worse. The pro luthier turned it around overnight (Even though it cost 80% of original guitar price). $215 for a Squier w/a pro set-up still's more cost effective than $1,000 + for an MIA Strat that needed the $90 pro set-up, too.

Cheers,