Hey folks,

I was wondering if there's a 'time and place' for certain types of scales. Such as right now I'm working on learning the harmonic minor scale. Obviously you use a major scale in a major key, a minor scale in a minor key, but what about harmonic minor/major for example? Can I use it in any instance, or no?
Your questions strongly suggests that you aren't ready to be learning the scales you're asking about. Pick up a good music theory textbook and focus on the major scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Once you can play the scale comfortably, experiment with it. Use it in improv situations with all different types of music, and let your ear tell you the best instances to use the scale
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
The Crusade Articles will do you well. Read and review them and then read this:

Typically in a minor progression the diatonic v is raised to a V because it leads to i better. Try it for yourself: Play Bm7 - Em, then try B7 - Em. Observe how the last one sounds. Anyway, so we know that a triad has a 1, 3 and a 5, right? Look at the big picture -- the v triad is built off the 5th degree of the minor scale. The third of v is the 7th degree of the minor scale and the 5th of v is the 2nd degree of the minor scale. When you raise the v to V, your raising the third by a semitone and thus the 7th degree of the minor scale is raised by a semitone. So why does this matter? Well, the harmonic minor scale is just the minor scale with the 7th raised a semitone. Ah, you see the connection? So, to the point, harmonic minor should be used over a V in a minor progression. It can be used elsewhere but it will start to sound neoclassical.
As Archeo said, seems like you may wanna look into learning some basic theory. Hey, I really mean it.

Idiot's Guide to Music Theory - Michael Miller is nice to start out. But after Chapter 4(Major and minor keys) I recommend going to "A Creative Approach to Music Fundamentals - William Duckworth" and start from the beginning on that book. Most of the stuff will be review but you will understand many that you didn't see when reading Millers book.

Then you won't ask this question... um... even if you ask it, you won't ask it like that.
Last edited by YA89 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by concretesurfer
Cheers. YA89, what's wrong with the way I asked it, then?

Well, by reading your post, seemed like you haven't understood relative major/minors well. It's an important part of theory. That's why I suggested you to learn it with description rather than giving you a simple answer; which won't make sense.