I've been wondering for a while whether learning songs that have already been written by someone else helps your creativity or hurts it. Like just looking up a tab and then memorizing it without making any changes.

Do you think this generally opens up more options for you? Or does it just make you fall back into old patterns you can't get away from?
I think it does good than bad. Well, I believe that whenever you start to write music, a tune that you already know comes to your mind, but, if you have practice writing music then it will go away.
I listen to many as possible and try to learn from them, helps you to become experienced in music.
So...
Yes sometimes because you may leran a chord that you would have never learned on your own. Or you might stumble upon a lick and use it to your own playing. I'm pretty sure we've all heard a song that makes us go,"Wow how does he play that?" Then we find the tab learn it and start being creative using new innovative ideas.

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Quote by shaf_9110
I've been wondering for a while whether learning songs that have already been written by someone else helps your creativity or hurts it. Like just looking up a tab and then memorizing it without making any changes.

Do you think this generally opens up more options for you? Or does it just make you fall back into old patterns you can't get away from?

The benefits of learning music are numerous & substantial. There are no negative consequences (such as "hurting your creativity" or any similar non-sense)

I would highly recommend learning as many songs as you can/are inspired to.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 29, 2009,
It lets you know what others already did so you don't do it. But you can pick up on a style of playing, which is mostly in the solos.